Thursday, November 20, 2008

How I Adore The Pilgrims



Motherhood has been a journey for me. When my first daughter was born, I spent close to near every moment with her or close by her for at least the first few months. Slowly I was able to let go and you would find me out at Target (five minutes away) for huge half hour jaunts. I never took my commitment to motherhood lightly.

Then came along daughter number two. My time with her wasn't so closely coveted. I knew she would be okay with her daddy or nana or the plumber that came to fix the toilet (just kidding, kind of). Seriously the second time around, I didn't feel like Momma Bear protecting my new cub. Granted we still spend almost every waking moment together, but I have come to embrace my independence.

Time is to be cherished, with your children and decompressing with out them. A few months ago, I happened upon a perfect situation. One morning a week, my girls go to a dear neighbor's house for a few hours, so I can get some time to myself. Now granted, I will be the first to admit that my husband is a full time dad, when he's not at his full time day job. He loves being with the girls, which allows me plenty of free time on the weekends or evenings. But sometimes it's nice to just get out during the day, run errands without all the in and out of car seats and complications of dragging children around aimlessly. Or maybe even a cup of chai with a friend. Or a visit to a private opening of a new store, that I was invited to.

My girls have such a wonderful time with my neighbor, that they usually ask to stop by there most days of the week. They do little craft projects, like the photo above. I feel content that my girls can develop relationships with other adults in their lives. I cherish my little time away and I cherish my time with them even more. To top it off, I have cutesy little crafts adorning my house, just in time for whatever holiday is up and coming. Oh, how I adore the pilgrims, they represent so much to me.

15 comments:

  1. It's really true--having some time to yourself allows you to better enjoy the time with your kids. What a cute craft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome. think she'd watch my kids???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely about our kids needing other adults in their lives. Some people have big extended families to provide that - but I don't live near family. My kids' daycare provider is like a second mother to them. I actually give her mothers day cards every year. Someone once told me that you can never have enough people to love your children. I find that very comforting - and it makes me happy to think of them all having a fun day with her. Not that I'm not fun... Oh I don't know - I guess I'm not. But they love me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I think it's good for both us, as parents, and our children to have time away from each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for some free time--you are so lucky to have such a great neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that free time to yourself is great. What a nice neighbor you have and how great that she does crafts with the girls! I know what you mean too about the 2nd one. I'm less of a mama bear too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't see the pic! :(

    Free time is definitely a precious commodity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to make sure you have time to recharge your batteries. You get much needed "you" time, your girls get to have a blast and your neighbor gets some special time with your lovely girls. Sounds like a win-win-win situation to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to move to your neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it funny how we evolve? After four years, I finally feel like I am coming into my own, able to capitalize on time spent with my kiddos while also taking care of my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People from my planet aren't like that. what universe are you from again?

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like you worked out a great situation. Yes, a mother needs breaks during the week for sure!

    cute pilgrims.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful neighbor! Love the craft!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are adorable!

    What a great friend/neighbor you have. Such a blessing....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Pilgrims. THAT is what I can do with all of those empty toilet paper tubes...

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!