Monday, November 24, 2008

Oh Little Blue Box, You've Outdone Yourself...Seriously

Now that the eight political glossy mailings are no longer gracing my mailbox, there's a new culprit force feeding their products to me via mail. I am at the point where this is just darn right silly. Absolute hilarity. It involves a little jewelry store known the world over as Tiffany and Company. Now don't get me wrong, there's a whole dreamy side of me that likes girly sparkly things, complete with diamonds, platinum, and a little blue box wrapped with a white satin bow.

Typically a nice little catalog would come my way before the holidays every year. It's always a delightful smattering of realistic items (sterling silver) with a touch of the Tiffany's high end, touch I said. I would always browse the catalog, then place it in my husband's bathroom, as a joke. I really don't expect jewelry from Tiffany's. I just have fun thinking his regular reading has been replaced with a Tiffany's catalog while taking care of his business in the Loo.

For my tenth wedding anniversary, my husband made a purchase at Tiffany's for me. It was a bit larger than his previous sterling silver purchases, yes the item included diamonds and platinum. It's delightful and I smile whenever I put it on. I also constantly check my neck to make sure it's still there when I am wearing it, it makes me slightly nervous. I am a sterling silver kind of girl, but I am not going to balk at diamonds and platinum for a gift. EVER.

Now here's the funny part, Tiffany and Company has bumped up our catalog status, because of that one purchase. Weekly we receive a new HIGH END catalog in the mail. For example the soft bound catalog that just arrived had a $6,500,000 dollar ring on it's opening page. Bwah, ha, ha! The cheapest item in the catalog was a dragonfly broach that cost about two years of mortgage payments. I find this all very odd.

So, if the marketing folks over at Tiffany and Company happen to read this, I think we need to change our catalog status. You seem to have us confused with people who are dripping in money and drop hundreds of thousands on jewelry. Is there any chance we can get back on the sterling silver customer list?

Thanks...

11 comments:

  1. Oh, little blue box, you've never made an appearance here for me. You've made an appearance for my darling husband, who got a lovely pen from some company connected to work. But, alas, not for me, and likely never will. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny. I've never had anything from Tiffany's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand the commercials that aire during Christmas time. People buying each other cars and massive diamond rings. WHAT? That just seems so absolutely crazy to me. Ugh.

    But I must say, jewelry is always much appreciated. Just maybe not the kind that costs as much as my car. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! I've never looked at their catalog. I've seen the big rocks Costco carries in their catalog. I cannot imagine people paying that much for jewelry! Especially diamonds since they're made out of the same stuff as coal and pencil lead - carbon. The atoms are arranged in a way that makes the bonds very strong. Just a little bit of geeky science info to not make us feel so bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wonder what you get if you buy something from this catalogue??

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Well, the over-the-top stop stuff is fun to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guessing they have very high hopes for your financial future ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those catalogs. I don't usually get the high end ones. But whenever I do, I just play pretend. Hmmm. I think I'd definitely prefer the sapphires to the emeralds. They're just more "me."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tiffany's has never made contact with me. Victoria's Secret, however, is desperately concerned about my unmentionables!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried a ring on at the Tiffany's in Vegas once, just for fun. It cost more than my house. Make that 2 houses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think anything from Tiffany's would burn my skin with its sheer priciness. I'm so thrift store...

    Good luck with the catalog.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!