Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Insert Head Under Pillow, Now!

Quite often I dodge the weather conversation with those that haven't spent much time in Colorado. The majority of the time the question arises, don't you get so much snow, how do you handle all the snow? You see, it's sort of a fallacy that Colorado is a year round winter wonderland.

Snow sometimes in June, like the day before my wedding, yes. Snow of mass proportions two years ago when I had a newborn and needed to get to the doctor, yes. Snow on Christmas Day this year, no.

Now don't get me wrong, the snow that falls in the Rocky Mountains keeps the rivers flowing from the Continental Divide all the way to the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans respectively. But I live on the Front Range. Nestled close to the Foothills, not in the mountains. Our weather is desirably milder and we even boast over 300 days of sunshine a year.

But last night, was a miserable night. We had the most intense winds that I recall in quite sometime. Or like ever. Our location to the mountains creates intense wind when there is dramatic temperature change, fronts, and all that meteorological lingo I can't quite recall. In my terms, the windows were flexing, the lawn chairs were flying, tree branches were reaching their rubber-like capacity. Eventually they are going to snap. So I barely slept in fear that a limb from our ginormous Cottonwood Tree was going to break and land on the roof above my head. Our bedroom is in the back and we have lost a couple hundred pound limb before during a bad ice storm. It did some damage, but more importantly left a mental scar.

Wind arrives, fear sets in. I should be calm and settled knowing how difficult it was to actually remove a Cottonwood Tree over the summer from our front yard. The darn thing didn't want down. The roots of a Cottonwood are deep, the strength and beauty of the tree is admiring, but I still fear mother nature when she unleashes her wrath in the form of wind.

Those lovely news weather forecasters, predicting more wind tonight. 11pm to 11am, high wind advisory for my town. Gulp.

Head under pillow, I am off.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my we've had lots of the wind lately too, and we are in the valley nestled as you are, that wind though, it's amazing and scary all at once. Just stay warm and safe!!!

    xo GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold is bad - but wind is worse. I've only been to Denver twice (to visit a friend who has since moved) and enjoyed really beautiful weather both times. Even when it was cold it was sunny. Hope the winds pass you by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. at first glance, I thought this read Insert Head Udder Pillow. that would be an interesting post. I need sleep, too... take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That wind was horrible last night!! We're scheduled to get our cottonwood tree cut down this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we lost shingles last night :( now to get the husband up on the roof

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in Denver I was always surprised how many people thought it was in the mountains.

    I live in the mountains now (a divide is 10 minutes from my house) and winter is brutal. I don't care for the wind at all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wind pushed our patio furniture off the patio, bending the umbrella pole in the process. What impresses me, though, was that the wind also moved our shed. Our 300 or so pound shed full of miscellaneous crap. I hope to heck that we don't get more wind like that tonight and certainly not tomorrow. Tom flies out tomorrow and he HATES flying in wind. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get lots of wind in our development (old sand quarry) I've given up on patio umbrellas because, even securely fastened in a 100lb base, we've lost 5 in the 5 years we've lived here. The wind pushes the stand to the edge of the deck and then snaps the umbrella pole like a twig....The winter wind howling around the house is the worst though. Although we have no trees of any substance anywhere near our house, it's the noise that threatens my sanity.

    BTW, my cousin from Boulder is visiting us tomorrow. I haven't seen her in 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our whole family just got up at 2am and stayed up...nobody could sleep through it. I kept thinking that the wind was going to send someone's bbq (or maybe Jen's shed) through one of my windows.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in fear that i will be that person on the tv with the tree on top of my car!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wind sucks. Wind alone has the ability to suck the life out of most everything. Visualize trees that have been be-windled by wind. More importantly, to one who blogs, notice the lack of enthuisiasm in your blog about the wind. It is scientific and a great predictor of mood. You clearly have the windy mood syndrome. You will be able to think clearly after the wind just hang on! The wind will always make it's presense known in your area. Take it from one who knows.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!