Monday, December 22, 2008

FAT MINT COOKIES (The Best Chocolate Peppermint Cookies Ever)

(update, December 2014, I've renamed these cookies FAT MINT cookies because well, they blow any skinny door to door sold chocolate peppermint cookie out of the water)

This weekend, I donned my festive apron. It has a European Holiday feel, complete with some faux fur trim and decorative ribbons. Only the best for holiday baking. I scoured recipes far and near, looked over all the recipes everyone shared with me (thank you!!!). I made my specialty list, ran out to the grocery store, then settled in for a baking marathon. Surprisingly it didn't take all day, within a few hours I had seven dozen cookies made and a bit of a stomach ache from overindulging.

When honing in on what exactly I wanted to make I couldn't let go of the fact that I really have a thing for chocolate and peppermint. Well, peanut butter and chocolate isn't so bad either, but chocolate and peppermint is HOLIDAY to me. I found a few recipes, but actually tweaked them to my liking and came up with this recipe. When baking if you pull them out of the oven right after cracking on top, they will set up nicely. The taste is like candy canes with fudge, but the cookies have a delightful brownie texture. Soft and chewy. 

I kid you not, this may just be the best damn cookie I have ever baked. EVER. Please enjoy, pass it along, it's fabulous. 
Denise's FAT MINT Cookies

2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon mint extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped Andes Thins: Creme de Menthe Candies OR 1 Lindt Dark Chocolate Mint bar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In a mixer beat together the butter with the sugars until light and fluffy, 2-5 minutes. Fluffy is key. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl. Add in the vanilla and mint (if you don't have mint just use all vanilla, but the mint extract makes a nice touch). On a low speed beat in the flour mixture about a 1/2 cup at a time. Gently mix in with a wooden spoon chocolate chips and Andes candies. 

On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop a tablespoon of the batter about 2 inches apart. Bake until just cracked on top, about 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake! Let set on the cookie sheet for five minutes then transfer to cooling rack. Cool completely. 

Enjoy! Beware, you may over indulge on these. 


  1. Oh my gosh. Those have my name written all over them. I can't wait to give them a try.

    Thank you for sharing!

  2. those look so good!! I love chocolate and peppermint too! Thanks for the recipe.:)

  3. i LOVE peppermint and chocolate especially around the holidays!! I am sooo making these but need to hurry as our diet starts Dec I am the only one who likes chocolate and peppermint:) I need to go and get a peppermint mocha before the 26th yikes...

  4. If I hadn't just eaten 3 chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies (and, oh, 1/4 of the dough), I would be right on top of these babies.

    Will copy & paste the recipe...[Thanks!]

  5. Those seriously look like the world's perfect cookies. I mean it. I LOVE it when they stay soft.

  6. They look so wonderful, but i may have to leave those to the new year i still have 15 types in my tin in the kitchen!!

  7. you go with your bad self for taking liberties with a recipe and making it your own. i want some!

  8. these were amazing- I made them tonight to share with co-workers tomorrow..wasn't sure I even liked peppermint cookies ..but yes you're right- they're awesome..thanks -deb

  9. Oh my goodness, those look SO GOOD!! I will definitely try them. I love peppermint and chocolate. In Martha's new Cookies cookbook, there's a chocolate cookie recipe with a marshmallow topping surprise. I bet peppermint marshmallows would be so yummy in that recipe. Happy Christmas girl and enjoy another one of those decadent cookies for me :)

  10. Mmmmmm, those look so good. I don't want to make them, I just want to reach through the computer and take some. :)

  11. I have the same thing for peppermint and chocolate. I'm literally swooning right now...

  12. Very original! I love peppermint and chocolate. Always looking for a recipe worthy of not buying the tube of premade dough!

  13. OMG those look and sound divine!

  14. Oh my gosh Denise, I just made these (well, some are still in the oven) and they are seriously delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe! YUM!

  15. Oh man, I gotta find a gluten-free work around for these! Yum!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!