Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sing Happy Birthday Again, Again, Again...

Light barely filtered through the blinds as my youngest daughter climbed up into our bed. I glanced over at the clock, 6:15. Although I momentarily wished for an extra hour, I realized it could be worse.

I whispered in GL's ear, "Good Morning Birthday Girl". She giggled and whispered back, "Sing Happy Birthday Mommy". We sang Happy Birthday time and time again, our voices escalated with happiness during each new round. Big Sister, Sj, awakened to our giggles. She also climbed into bed with us. We snuggled. It's our thing, the morning snuggle. Happy Birthday continued once again.

It doesn't take long before Sj happily discovered a fresh blanket of fluffy white snow had fallen overnight. I smiled knowing the snow, which continued to fall was a wonderful reason to spend a lazy birthday at home.

A monkey birthday cake is baked (a comical monkey, wouldn't you agree), a new baby doll nursery took over the living room, the Christmas tree glowed, the girls danced under the streamers in the dining room, daddy came home for the day at lunchtime, they explored the fresh fluffy powder and put up the inflatable snowman. GL embraced the sassiness of being two by sitting on the floor eating chocolate chips directly from the bag as she proceeded to dump out a pound of confectioner's sugar onto her lap, but cheekily smiled when she said," Oh, No, Big mess Mommy"! Then she topped off the night by refusing her dinner, but demanded cake. Cake, cake, cake...Pleeeease!

We laughed and giggled. We sang Happy Birthday a few dozen more times. I can't quite escape how beautiful it is to listen to my two year old sing Happy Birthday. Once again, I remembered time sure does fly.

Happy Second Birthday my sweet GL.

26 comments:

  1. That cake is the best! And so are the shoes she's wearing!

    When you get a chance, read my newly created poem. I am entering a contest with it. It is not real exciting as I had many rules to follow and stay within guidelines but this is my first contest.

    Thanks!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww Happy Birthday sweetie- wish I could have been there. G.Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those shoes ;)

    Happy birthday sweet girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet face!!!! Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Happy birthday!! Sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cake! I want to do something like that for my little monkey this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo hooo birthdays are the best and made all the better with monkey cakes...have a great birthday day and enjoy the cake!

    GM~*

    ReplyDelete
  8. That smile gets me every time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake is the best. Glad you guys had a sweet and laid back lovely day. It is kind of crazy to think she is already 2! Now you are next! Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday!!

    Those are some mighty big shoes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!!

    Those are some mighty big shoes! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Time really does fly--I remember you bringing her to moms club meetings in the stroller. Wow--happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy bday GL! How time flies.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh she is darling. We hope to meet her someday. Happy birthday little GL!! I love what you said about morning snuggles. We do that too. It is one of my favorite things to do with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that smile is so incredibly precious
    and the monkey cake ... pink and yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What no pictures of the powdered sugar!!! Love the cake. Happy birthday GL.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a perfect birthday. Happy Birthday GL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful smile!

    Happy Birthday, GL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday to your darling daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cake and the pic of the birthday girl in her cool shoes. Sounds like a fun celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. happy birthday to your girl!! i love that monkey cake.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's hard to believe my 2 year old is already wearing a Men's size 11! Wow, prom is going to be a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very happy birthday wish, a little late. That cake is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, a late happy birthday!

    That monkey cake is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!