Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Soft Brown Leather, Seventeen Years, and A Little Mariachi

Little did I know years and years ago that opening the door at a party would change my life forever. On the other side of the door was a teenage boy from a neighboring high school. Someone I had never met before. Someone I would in turn become friends with, then really close friends.

A few years after we met, we started "going out". From that moment of going out, our lives just continued on together, with out ever taking a break from our relationship. We officially consider our anniversary December 2, even though we were together before that. I suppose when a relationship blossoms out of friendship, it's really hard to pick one specific day.

Yesterday was that day. The day we chose years ago to celebrate our anniversary. Seventeen years later. Our December 2nd anniversary always trumped our wedding anniversary because we were together for six and a half years before tying the knot. It just didn't seem right to forget about our original anniversary.

Now quite honestly this is where I admit to my faults. I forgot it was yesterday. It would have hit me like a bag of bricks on the head when I saw the date or heard December Second! But none the less, the day and it's meaning came out over a series of emails between J and I. He casually slipped in, you know I didn't forget about today. Then my mind thinks, today, today, what is today? Damn it, December 2nd!

So we agree on dinner out. It was Mariachi night at our local favorite Mexican Restaurant. As we sat there eating dinner, being serenaded in a language I can grasp bits and pieces of, my eyes welled up. I looked across the table at my husband with our two girls and really felt the moment. I felt how incredible it is to be 34 and to have spent half of my life with my man.

To top the night, J bought me a pair of boots I've been drooling over on the Anthropologie website for a couple of months now. The same boots that were out of stock online (and no longer on the webpage). They fit like a glove and are even more glorious in person...

Now if I could have only done so well in the gift department. My past trials and tribulations trying to buy him a special gift! Sigh...

18 comments:

  1. Nice boots!! What a guy!! KDV

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh i like the boots, we never celebrate our actual got together day, but I am thinking that boots would be good this year since it would be our 10th anniversary ...you think J would talk to the husband about perfect gift giving???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, happy anniversary! Those boots are fantastic - your man is one good gift-giver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!! So, so sweet! You do have a great guy :) I love, love the boots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome boots! What a wonderful day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, happy anniversary. I completely understood this, completely. My husband of 12 years and I were together for 7 1/2 years before we got married, starting way back in high school, it was 1988.

    We always celebrate that anniversay too - and those boots . . . divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the gorgeous boots and a gorgeous story!

    My husband and I celebrate our actual get together date, too. April Fool's Day. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful! Happy Anniversary (a few days late...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some fab. boots! Happy Anniversary:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're now set for Gary's imposed "girls must wear boots" requirement at the Christmas party. ;-) LOL
    P.S. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow love the boots, good job J. Happy anniversary we do the same thing, although slightly harder to forget ours as it is july 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness...I think I am up too late and tired because I got teary eyed just reading this! And then the boots...that threw me over the edge...he scored points for that one. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful story. Happy Anniversary. :) (your boots are beautiful too!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This happens to be D's oldest brother. Growing up with 3 older brothers wasn't easy for her. If any boys ever came to the house to see her we would scare them away. There was only one guy who came back a second time and she ended up marrying him. Right lil sis?????

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loooove that 1992 picture of you! You look so much like my SIL there. And congrats on the anniversary, the rockin' boots, and the wonderful guy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!