Friday, January 16, 2009

Easy Kid-Friendly Enchiladas!

Last night I purchased a rotisserie chicken, but decided to switch things up a bit. We normally just cut up the chicken and eat it as is. I did some searching online and decided to make Lighter Chicken Enchiladas, from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I basically had all the needed ingredients and Mexican sounded great.

I had to switch up the recipe a bit because I did not have a can of chipotles in my pantry. Although, funny enough I tried to buy them, but Whole Foods was out of them last week. Maybe I knew enchiladas were in my future. Considering I was already switching up the recipe, I decided to make it kid friendly as well.

To make the recipe kid friendly, follow all the steps with one exception:

*Add two tablespoons TOMATO PASTE instead of the canned chipotles.

Continue to cook up the sauce as the recipe states, the cumin added a nice mexican flair to the sauce for the girls. Remove one cup of the sauce and pour over the shredded chicken for the enchilada filling.

Then, I kicked up the sauce for the hubby and I. At this point, I kept the remaining sauce on the stove and added about a 1/2 cup of Chipotle Honey Roasted Green Chile because that's what I had on hand. The folks over at 505 make fabulous organic green chili and salsas! Let it cook for a few more minutes.

I assembled the girls' enchiladas in a baking dish and stuffed small corn tortillas with just the chicken seasoned inside (from the cup with only tomato paste). I topped it with cheddar cheese. Then I placed the remaining chicken enchiladas in a big baking dish and poured all the spicy enchilada sauce over the top, with about 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. It's nice to control the amount of cheese, a dish like this has such wonderful flavor it doesn't need to be smothered in tons of cheese!

My husband proclaimed the enchiladas were some of the best he's ever had. The girls devoured theirs! Win, win for the entire family! Better yet, dinner was out of the oven in 20 minutes! Give it a try, let me know what you think.


  1. Sounds delicious!! I've seen that green chili at WF. It's good to know it's tastey. We like that chipotle salsa at WF. Here's another tip for you, we "kick up" our ketchup with a tsp or tablespoon of pureed chipotle. It's a tip from Bobby Flay and is DELICIOUS on hamburgers. I will try your recipe some time :)

  2. First great new pic of you on your blog! Second, I am so trying this recipe with the kiddos.

    Thanks for the heads up.

  3. Oh, yum! I am totally trying this one. Pregnancy has given me ravenous cravings for Mexican food.

  4. Oh yummy! I'll have to try that one.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!