Friday, January 23, 2009

Homemade Happy Granola Bars

Well, in case you didn't catch my disdain for all that's happening with peanut butter products, please check out this post I wrote yesterday. There were some requests for a Granola Bar recipe. Guess what, it just so turns out that I have one.

This granola bar recipe is from when I was in Jr. High school and had to take Home Economics. Seriously. I've held onto because the bars are delicious. Now, the recipe is going to be my new found favorite because I can't stand the thought of my girls eating mass produced products with cheap ingredients. I can control what goes into them! I may play with the recipe a bit and substitute in Almond butter or add dried fruit.

Happy Granola Bars

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
grease 9x9 square pan
Bake: ***15-20 minutes (cover with foil last 5-10 minutes), makes 16-24 bars

Combine and set aside, Dry Ingredients:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cream together, wet ingredients:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, combining with a wooden spoon. When mixed well, add the remaining ingredients. This is where substitutions or additions can occur. Do not omit oatmeal, wheat germ, or dry milk crystals.

Stir in:
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chocolate or carob chips
1/4-1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup dry milk crystals (can be found in bulk bins at Whole Foods)

Enjoy, please let me know if you experiment with the ingredients, I'd love to know your combination.

***My oven bakes warm and at the shortest time. I've had some feedback that taking them out at 15 minutes they were crumbly. So I suggest baking them for up to 10 minutes longer with foil covering them. It's really dependent on your oven. My apologies!


  1. Thank you D. I've been looking for a recipe that has stood the test of time.

  2. This recipe sounds great! I can't wait to try it out!

    I guess I will be headed to the healthy food store this weekend to look for dry milk crystals.

  3. Oh yum! And it looks fun to make. I wonder how it would do with an almond butter and cranberries?

  4. OH GOODIE!! I can't wait to try these out! I will definitely do it next week after my baking frenzy today with Mr. E's cupcakes. You'll have to post a picture of yours :)Thank you my baking friend.

  5. Those look tasty. I'll definitely have to play around with that soon.

  6. Yum! I'm totally trying this recipe. Thanks!

  7. "Carnation" makes dried milk that can be found in any grocery store, which is the same as dry milk crystals!

  8. Thanks for the clarification of dried milk crystals. Do you know how these store?

  9. So..... I tried your recipe tonight and the bars just crumbled when I took them out of the pan. Do you let them completely cool in the pan before cutting, like brownies? Or get them out on a cooling rack, like bread?

  10. that looks great--i've got to try it! ethan loves granola bars.

  11. alrighty, well I have an update to the recipe, you may want to bake them a bit longer, if they seem crumbly, since I don't have a particular marker for when they are done (firm in the center, toothpick comes out clean), you just have to wing it.

    Zarah baked her for 10 minutes longer with foil covering them at that point. She was happy with the results. 15 minutes does it for me, but please experiment!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!