Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Whopper With Cheese, Hold The Meat Please

For many years, possibly close to a decade I didn't eat meat. I wasn't a selective memory vegetarian, I was a strict vegetarian. Those selective memory vegetarians are the ones that occasionally indulge in meat even though most of the time they tow the line with living meat free. In that case, my response is why label yourself, just eat meat when you want to. Don't make the point of saying your vegetarian when you once a month consume a burger!.


Memories take me back to eating out at restaurants and being so neurotic about my vegetarian ways. I would ask the wait staff if there was chicken stock in the vegetable soup or if my vege burger was going to be grilled right along with the bacon and beef. Most of the time, grilled cheese and fries, or a salad were my go-to's for eating out. Restaurants these days seem to be much more in tune with dietary restrictions, I think living a vegetarian lifestyle is much different now.

My husband (well boyfriend at the time) and I were both vegetarians, so it made life a bit simpler for cooking at home. When we traveled often on lengthy road trips across the country, we always ran into the food on the road debacle. Or shall I say vegetarian food on the road debacle! You know how hard it is to eat vegetarian driving through rural United States? Well, let's just say eating vegetarian on interstate food is quite the challenge. We weren't the type to hunt for food when traveling, we were in-out and back on the road in no time. Quite honestly, we never gave much thought to just carrying a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, and jelly. Silly us. Instead we perfected the art of ordering fast food with out the meat.

My favorite, Whopper with cheese, HOLD the meat. We would stuff our burger with french fries. Aah, the good ol' days. Then there was always the double decker taco with "all beans, no meat". That one was always harder to get perfected on the road. Guaranteed threw the employees for a loop every damn time.

Now that we eat meat, the pendulum has swung in a different direction. We rarely ever eat from fast food restaurants that have Kings, Golden Arches, or Bells. After being vegetarian for so many years, I have become a meat snob. Honestly, I don't love beef so when I do occasionally have a burger, it has to be good meat. We do enjoy a Coleman Natural Beef Burger from our local Colorado Good Times Burger chain every now and again.

Which leads me to the photo above. Recently we broke all the rules. While spending the morning at one of our favorite malls, the Colorado Mills, time escaped us. Before we knew it, it was way past lunchtime. The girls were hungry, so were we. The food court at this mall is the worst. The worst. In a pinch, we revisited our roots. We ordered two Whoppers with cheese, hold the meat. We passed on their vege burgers which are on the menu these days, if you hunt for them long enough. A deep fried hockey puck isn't that great. So instead we stuffed our burgerless Whoppers with fries. It brought me right back to the 1990's. I must admit, I kinda liked it.

***Curious as to what meat we ate first, read this!

21 comments:

  1. When I worked at BK, back in high school, the Veggie Whopper with Cheese was probably my favorite thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never felt like i could be a vegetarian because my dad own a butcher shop! But at least we had really good meat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been a vegetarian - but I'm really picky about meat and can't even think about eating fast food meat. I also can't eat frozen packaged food meat or anything that looks in the least bit gristley (is that a word). So I'm almost like a half vegetarian. If I go to McDonalds on a road trip - I just eat fries. And I agree about fast food veggie burgers. GROSS! My husband bought me one while I watched the kids at a rest stop and I couldn't bring myself to take more than a bite. But I do like the ones I can buy at the grocery store. It's just the frozen meat products that I can't abide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh do I remember those days. We usually did In-N-Out burgers, hold the meat! KDV

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a friend who does that, the Whopper with no meat, shoved with fries. I laugh, but she seems to love it.

    I've been in Denver for over a year and a half and have never tried Good Times. Is it really, um...good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the same way...I eat meat but only really really good meat :)
    My kids think fast food is still poison ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the meatless thing for about a year, I was a bad about it and became anemic. Whoops. A whooper with just fries in it does sound pretty good right about now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, what is so funny about this is not the fact that I have NEVER been a vegetarian, although I respect it... it's the fact that I work ACROSS THE STREET from the Mills. And I know EXACTLY the Burger King of which you speak. The SLOWEST Burger King on the whole planet. They probably lost their shit when you ordered a Whopper with no meat. And next time you are out here, call me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about that food court. I try to go for mexican there, but it is always so busy with the kids you don't want to be hanging around. I love fries on a sandwich - we call them a chip buttie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post made me so sad for my old stomping grounds. Colorado Mills is 'our mall' and we miss Good Times like crazy!

    Homesick......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been a vegetarian and have toyed with going back. It can definitely be hard to eat out in certain parts of the country.


    Fries on a burger (meatless or otherwise) sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HA! I love it! I had a friend in LA who was a vegetarian. She always ordered from In-n-Out the burgers without the meat. I don't know how she could do that to that wonderful establishment. Guess she really liked the sauce. I love burgers, but only if they're fresh. I'm very picky about meat, especially when it comes from corn fed cows. Loved the post...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Food court food is pretty nasty, isn't it? I once tried to be a vegetarian, but my mom wouldn't let me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Driving cross-country gluten free is a raging PITA, so I know what you're talking about here.
    And you're right, that food court at the Mills could have been so good and is really icky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I happened upon you and had to laugh. Recently I ordered a Beef and Cheddar at Arby's withot the Beef. It was a hilarious fiasco. The lady was quite unsure about my mental awareness, in the end I got a bun, chees and red sauce for free. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I happened upon you and had to laugh. Recently I ordered a Beef and Cheddar at Arby's withot the Beef. It was a hilarious fiasco. The lady was quite unsure about my mental awareness, in the end I got a bun, chees and red sauce for free. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just cracking up over "gateway meat!"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boca Burgers really do taste like hockey pucks, even the chicken-flavored ones. I still eat em sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Interesting, sounds much more appetizing than a hockey puck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could never, ever be a vegetarian. I'm so impressed. I love the sound of the french fry burger. Do you get a discount for ordering a Whopper without meat?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!