Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Giving Time, Some Here, Some There...

Have I ever mentioned that in my spare time, I volunteer with my Daughter's Girl Scout Troop, as a co-leader? Have I ever mentioned I don't know how I get roped into these situations? Honestly it's not that bad, I did say co-leader, which means I help out whenever needed. I am not required to be at every meeting. Most of the parents volunteer so it makes my rotation very manageable. Sometimes I just laugh though, thinking how did I get myself into yet another commitment.

But we all do it, don't we? Over extend ourselves, putting our children first.

As I go through the motions with my daughter, I learn more and more about being a Girl Scout. The organization, the promise, the plethora of opportunities, and of course most recently the cookie sales. Sj set a goal for how many boxes of cookies she would like to sell. Her goal was set with her eye on the prize, sell 230 boxes and get an Eco Ellie Elephant stuffed animal. Wowzers, that's a lot of boxes for a stuffed animal. But she did it. She also earned a few patches and a t-shirt.

This past Sunday morning, I went on the trek to pick-up the cookies for our Troop! I've never seen so many cases of Girl Scout Cookies in my life. Three of us were in and out, with plenty of volunteers expediting the process. Then it was onto sorting of the cases for the girls' orders, then coming home and sorting our 250 boxes. What a process.

My dining room table and buffet is still over run with brightly colored boxes of sugary treats. I'm on the second phase of getting everyone their cookies, if you are waiting on me, I promise by this weekend!

Here's a glimpse of what our truck looked like, pulling away from Girl Scout Cookie pick-up. Amazing! I had plenty of smiles at red lights on my five mile drive home. I am most happy to report, I didn't lose a box from the back of the truck.

10 comments:

  1. We have a friend who was an area leader she use to use he basement and Garage to store them all. It truly is crazy. Ah the joys of parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just impressed that you didn't break into the cookies. I don't think I could resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember selling girl scout cookies... So I can never say no to children who come to my door selling their wares, trying to raise money for their troop, school, team, etc. I have several more years until I will be called to volunteer duty though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. February isn't all bad, at least you get cookies this time of year:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! You're the Cookie Mom! I was never brave enough to take on that role. Yeah, Girl Scouts rocks. My girls loved it while they were in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are enjoying our cookies..trying to pace ourselves! KDV

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Good job on the cookie sale! Ms. E didn't sell cookies. Guess they thought they were too young, I don't really know why. Probably a good thing because hubby is addicted to thin mints.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize that it was already Girl Scout season! Oooh, I'm craving thin mints now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must be so proud of her. She's got skills, sales skills that is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait for my girl scout cookies to arrive....

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!