Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday Tips: Another Reason to BAN High Fructose Corn Syrup

Well, first I am not going into a big diatribe about my disdain for HFCS/High Fructose Corn Syrup because I already did here. Please take a moment to read it, if you would like more information about the ills of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

For years I have believed HFCS is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic in this country. But now I hear of this news, this appalling news.

At least 33% or sometimes 9 in 20 samples of High Fructose Corn Syrup found to contain Mercury. Mercury is toxic to the body. Scary enough teens can consume up to 80% more HFCS than a normal consumer.

Does anyone hear a voice go off in their head when the terms Mercury and Autism are spoken? Once again we are doing our children wrong. I am sad and angry. 

"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement. source, Washington Post

Time for us to speak up. We need to stop poisoning our children and our bodies. When will this end. To think of those ludicrous commercials that were put out by the Corn Growers Association. Shame on America.

Bring Back Sugar!

14 comments:

  1. I have often thought of putting something in my will about my husband needing to address this issue for the family in the event that I die. I am the only one in the family that cares about this issue and I know my ranting goes in one ear and out the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just horrible! I was just telling my husband the other day that I thought Autism was possibly caused by food.

    I'm so glad we have cut so much of it out!

    Thanks again for keeping us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, people will not realize how awful this stuff is until it's too late. I feel any preservative is toxic and is probably contributing to a lot of our problems. "Food Matters" by Mark Bittman in addition to the YOU books by Dr. Oz and "In Defense of Food," "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan are all GREAT reads on this country's eating dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing, i need to educate myself better on these things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I love your blog!!!

    we are an eco-friendly company selling organic products ranging from Eco-Friendly furniture to organic food, fresh imported truffles, mattresses, skin care products,etc. Easy Being Green, INC.

    check us out at

    www.itiseasybeingreen.com


    Be green!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those commercials drive me crazy!!!! I agree, bring back sugar...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great blog post, I am so working on this with DH as he still hasn't quite figured out all the connections of HFCS and health, but this sort of posting helps!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this very alarming information!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was shocked when I saw this in the news the other day! I will admit that I never worried too much about HFCS...not that I liked it, but it seemed there were so many other things to worry about already. This news is enough to get me to go through my kitchen and throw all the HFCS containing items out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just looked in my cupboard and inspected all the items, lots of HFCS in there.....
    i think i'll start shopping at sunflower market and start makeing better purchases. thanks for the heads up. oh and is modified corn starch the same thing and what about corn syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh. Disgusting. I've been avoiding that stuff anyways, but this just sickens me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I missed this completely. Thanks for staying on top of this issue. Really revealing.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!