Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Operation Goodbye Muffin Top

Even though I am very good at complaining about the woes of being a TALL woman, standing at the above average 5'11" there truly are some perks which I don't take for granted. Like gaining 5 pounds with out it making much of an impact on my physical appearance. Which is all well and good until you weigh oh 25 pounds more than you would like. My body can distribute the extra weight fine, but I know it's there. I'm not physically where I would like to be.

I don't own a scale (other than my Wii Fit) so I gauge my weight by how my jeans fit. Lately my friend the muffin top has been visiting. Which means, I'm carrying extra weight. There's nothing worse to me than putting on a pair of jeans that feel snug, a pair of jeans that I once slipped on with ease. So what is a woman to do?

I did have success in a Boot Camp Class this summer, but after the session ended, I did not have the discipline to get up at dark and convince myself to work out. I am not much of a gym person, I feel very uncomfortable. I am one of those people that thinks everyone is staring at me, flailing on a machine, looking super uncoordinated. When in reality I am sure I wouldn't be noticed. It's a mental hurdle. I've never felt like the gym setting was for me. Same goes for yoga class. Too much ego in the room and me, not enough yogi ego to maintain a consistent practice. And with yoga it's impossible to build confidence with out regular practice. See the problem?

Not to mention the financial hurdles coupled with childcare. No childcare for yoga practice and the gym childcare, I'm way too much of a germ phobe. I freak out at the thought.

Lately on twitter some of my tweeps have been talking about 30 Day Shred and being a #shredhead (the # makes a topic searchable on twitter). I looked into what all the hype was. 30 Day Shred is a very reasonably priced ($9 on Amazon and $12 at Best Buy) workout DVD by Jillian Michaels. If you don't know who Jillian Michaels is, she's the badass trainer from The Biggest Loser, a show I watch faithfully every week. I'm not sure how I became a fan, but I get so wrapped up in the contestants' stories and progress, I always shed a tear when someone gets kicked off.

Let's just say I jumped at the opportunity to work out at home for such a small investment cost. I couldn't wait to get the slamming deal on Amazon, so I went straight to Best Buy the day I decided to try it out. The work out is 20 minutes long and has three different levels. I'm currently on Level 1, Day 5. After 10 days, I'll move to Level 2, if I am ready. Then onto Level 3.

Jillian has developed a program that includes strength training, cardio, and ab work built into the 20 minute workout. The only equipment you need is handweights (I use 5lb). For me, with a 20 minute work out, I find a hard time talking myself out of it. Take for example last night, I worked out at 10 pm because I thought, heck it's only 20 minutes, I can do it.

Mental obstacles averted, wouldn't you agree?

I did take some photos of me in my favorite pair of jeans, sporting my not so favorite muffin top. Even though there are lots of other bloggers that are brave enough to share their starting weight, before photos, etc. I'm just not there yet. So when I have achieved my goal, I will show my before and after photo. Until then you'll just have to be patient.

Off to Shred, you should join us! Will this be the summer I actually join a pool instead of avoiding it like the plague?

17 comments:

  1. So I'm assuming that the Wii Fit isn't doing it for you? I'm curious because I have been looking into it and would like to know ahead of time if it's pointless. I have blown past muffin top and am into full fledge train wreck. And I have the same childcare issue as you. And germs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been considering the Shred. But I have a full gym in my basement and if I can't get my butt down there....I certainly won't do a DVD either.

    I did restart (for the hundredth time) my workout this morning...getting up at 5:45am.

    We are doing parent/child swim lessons this summer and I have to wear a swim suit. Will that be enough motivation for me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So does this actually work? I need to stop being so darn inconsistent with exercise. I was doing so well with my morning walks until I switched back to my preferred schedule or 7-3:30, it's just too dark to walk that early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the shred! I just finished Day 10. I have done level 2 the last 2 days and it is way more cardio-ish and hard! Like I am really sweating!! But I am enjoying it and I agree 100% that the shortness of time, the smallness of space needed and minimal equipment make it perfect for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay this is inspiring me... My muffin top is getting out of control. Low rise jeans are pretty forgiving - but you get to a point where you just can't ignore the bulge anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the shredding! Looking forward to hearing about it. I struggled with my weight before kids and gained a ton with both. I have been at my gym for over a year now, and I must say I love it. It's exclusively for women and their daycare is great. I see them washing toys all of the time and cleaning. My kids love going there (they do crafts, exercise classes, music). It's a GODSEND, and I get 2 hours to myself. As for people looking at you, we really don't. We're just trying to get our workout done.

    I can say I am finally at a point where I enjoy exercise and actually miss it if I don't do it. When I do work out, I think about how I am feeling, what my body can do and how alive I feel. Races are also a great incentive. You don't have to be a marathon runner to do one. They are fun, a great way to see your area, and most of them are for a good cause. Don't give up! You will find something you enjoy, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. motiviation is key--good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard so much about this shred in the blogosphere. I'm curious to hear how you like it. I have the same problems with working out that you do: time, childcare, motivation, interest... I just don't want to hurt like I know I will if I do the shred. I know I will want.to.die. Maybe I'll get Tom to do it with me. Or I could just dust off the yoga DVD I found hiding in the basement. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss our Saturday morning runs and the coffee afterward, I think we should bring them back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just started the shred (day 2 for me). I need to get in shape big time and I need the extra motivation. I'll have to check out the group.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! I may join the shred, but not until after baby no. two makes his appearance :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you send some of that motivation my way???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey fellow tall chick! I found you via your follow on Twitter! (I'm 5'9")

    I can't say I'm up for the shred right now - we're getting one house ready to sell and preparing to start looking for one to buy! I'm always afraid of pervies googling "Momma muffin top" - don't think I could ever share my midsection!

    Much luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have not heard of this shredding thing. Good luck. Jillian is sure to bring you results. She is bad-ass! I love the biggest loser! What is it about that show that show anyway?

    I am hooked on intense cardio workouts in spin class! I absolutely get so excited recommending it to everyone I come across. I am such a dork about it, but I do realize it is not for everyone. But you should try it!
    Jen Wedin :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck! I watch that show religiously too, jillian is tough! If you need anyone to pull along your "gym" or to stand on your abs let us know....

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go! I have to look into this--very nice price :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!