Thursday, March 12, 2009

They Call It "Customer Service" For a Reason

Dear Grocery Store Cashier,
When a mom, with two small children enters your store, please assume she is not out on a casual stroll having a fun afternoon, humming la*la*la. Typically she would be in a hurry, probably a bit stressed, consumed with getting out of your place of employment as fast as possible.

Unfortunately my luck always seems to be drawn to the newbie cashiers at this particular grocery store. And today, my luck was abandoned when I entered your line. You robotically scanned my $80 worth of groceries and I watched them piling up at the end of the conveyor belt.

Piles, piles, piles.

Under the piles were my cloth grocery bags that were meant for the groceries to go in them, not on top of them. I stood there in amazement as you tapped your fingers waiting for my credit card receipt to pop out of the machine.

Looking at the piles, piles, piles.

You handed me my receipt and told me to have a nice day. Started to ring up the next customer to my utter amazement. Cue my children, one wandering off to play in the automatic doors and one starting to scream for chocolate milk. 

And there they were, my haphazardly tossed tomatoes on a vine, my $5.00 loaf of bread, thrown like a horse shoe. Sitting there. Completely forgotten.

I guess the training you received as a cashier was a special "prince of cashier" training, for you need not bag your customers groceries. Your customer with two hungry and overstimulated children. Your customer who would rather be home right now, but I am not, I am packing my own fucking groceries???

I have your name, I will complain. I will leave the store before I have to be disgusted by your customer service again. If I return that is. 

Shame, shame, grocery store. Mom's just need a little TLC, not a minimum wage prince who is too good to lend a hand. 

For the record, I'm always the type to pick up my canvas bags and start packing bags to lend a hand, but sometimes it's nice to be helped. 


21 comments:

  1. Proud of you for bringing your own grocery bags! Even if they ended up under your groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my experience...there is no such thing as customer service anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even get me started on this. I have MAJOR issues with this at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN to that!!!!
    What a perfect post.
    My boy and my nephew usually busy themselves by pushing EVERY button on the automatic lottery ticket machines while I'm gritting my teeth and telling them to "Come over here boys."

    I hate grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe she just moved on to the next customer!

    I don't mind helping, at all, but her behavior was rude. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just floored. There is no way this is Whole Foods is it. I could never see that happen there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is shameful...I've had similar experiences and life has taught me to get home, count, and then call the manager!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very bad indeed. I have had that happen at Target. I hate it when they start ringing the next customer before you are out of the area. Pet peeve of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WF? WTF? For what we pay for groceries there, they should not only bag your groceries, they should wipe your brow, bring you tea, and carry the bags to the car which should be by the front door, warmed and ready to go. I'm floored. I've been warned. I don't often go to that WF, but if that happens to me at the next trip with the boys, I'm letting them run wild while I find the manager to complain. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How rude!! Good for you for complaining, and I'm surprised it would be WF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG that is so frustrating!!!!! Taking kids to the store is always a treat but then to deal with crappy employees.... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe that he just started ringing up the next customer! What a jerk!

    ReplyDelete
  13. funny i just blogged about supermarkets too. Hope you have a better time next time. At least they normally pack your bags here, as i am sure Ann will confirm back in the UK you hardly ever get anyone pack your bags, its all you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no! Just what you need when you have two kids running in different directions. How frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how about when you hand them 5 bags and they stuff everything into 3...that's annoying too

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't understand why they do this. They must get some bizarre satisfaction out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I were a few generations older, I'd say something like "Punk kids! Back in my day, we worked hard for a living!" but I'm not.

    So instead I'll say - teenage cashiers are idiots and frankly, American kids are relatively spoiled and expect the world on a silver frigging platter and really need to figure out this whole work ethic thing sooner than later, because our economy is in the damn toilet. :)

    Of course, I'm sure you/our kids won't be that way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHH! I too dread going into the grocery store with my ONE child (who is 2 and wants to get his hands on everything). So from the moment I walk through those automatic doors, I'm on alert for not just unfriendly and unhelpful employees, but the occasional customer who has the case of childphobia who might give me some kind of stare that I'd read as "why the hell would you be bringing your kid in here!" Silly I know, it is at those times too, I might even give those unforgiving stares a really sincere and friendly (get the hell outta my way) smile back! Good for you for taking the time to complain to the manager!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seriously? Not cool. Unless you're at Food 4 Less, they expect you to bag your own stuff there. But I don't know of anywhere else off-hand that doesn't do it for you.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!