Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday Tips: Pink Milk Alternatives

Being a fan of Charlie and Lola, we have also become Pink Milk fans in our house. Pink Milk is strawberry milk. Now if you were to take the traditional Hershey's Strawberry Syrup route, you'd be serving up some lovely High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and a nice little side order of mercury. None the less, when the recent mercury/HFCS link came to light in the media, I ditched our pink milk syrup. We've tried an organic variety, but the girls didn't like it. Sigh. I've made homemade strawberry syrup, but it's not something you can just reach into the cabinet and grab on a pink milk whim.

Then recently I finally had a revelation. A middle ground strawberry syrup with acceptable ingredients (although I could do without the artificial coloring), Torani Syrup doesn't have High Fructose Corn Syrup! I purchased some Vanilla Syrup around Christmas time, to dress up my coffee. Now the large bottles of Vanilla and Strawberry Torani Syrup have become a staple in my house. Torani Syrups are made with pure cane sugar, water, flavorings, and some preservatives (including red food coloring for the strawberry). It's also a nice touch to make an Italian strawberry soda, if you just add it to sparkling water.

Anyone else have alternatives for Strawberry Milk, please do share!

In case you need a Charlie and Lola fix:

9 comments:

  1. i have just put a few drops of food colouring in before but then you don't get the taste. of course we love charlie and lola....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent idea! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we get the horizon pink milk every once in a while. I guess it's not something you could just have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! We might have to try that--not big milk drinkers here but that might be a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a friend who's son calls any sort of flavored or colored milk Firefighter Milk. I have no idea why, but it cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a bunch! My youngest will NOT drink milk unless it tastes like strawberry and I hate the pink powdery stuff...artificial and gross. Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food colorings also can have negative neurological effects.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!