Monday, April 6, 2009

Abandon the Cart Now, Phone Call...

Yesterday morning I was in a grocery shopping groove. Sounds kind of funny, but it's true. I was off to Whole Foods and Costco, before Costco even opened. My list was in hand, I was comparing prices in the produce section of Whole Foods, pre-bagged versus loose per pound grapefruit, brussel sprouts, and potatoes. Doo, dee, doo. Next stop meat counter, while deciding what I wanted my phone rang. I was texting my hubby back and forth so I just thought he wanted me to add another item to the list.

I picked up my phone, watching my ground turkey breast being weighed out. Some other employee from the meat department is trying to talk to me, as I previously inquired about chicken thighs.

I hear screaming in the phone.

Sj closed her hand in the door. From what I gathered it was really swollen, bleeding, and I should come home right now. Like abandon the cart and speed home?

Yes.

Two meat department employees are trying to engage me in conversation at this point. My mind is racing. I tell them I'm all set and grab a gallon of milk and hit the registers. Even though I knew there was an injured girl waiting at home, I knew she was upset more from the trauma of it. I did not abandon my cart. Thank goodness there was no wait at the registers or I may have abandoned the cart, the market was practically empty at 9:30 on Palm Sunday. My cashier was trying to engage me in conversation, but I was distracted by my need to get home as soon as possible.

Of course I hit every light imaginable on my way home. It felt like the longest drive ever. I arrived to a hurt and still crying daughter. I assessed the situation. Ouch, it was a good one. I guess she closed her hand in the door and it got stuck, she was yelling for J, but he was down stairs. Poor thing. I later asked J, if it was a decipherable cry, the one where you know they aren't just playing around. The I am really, really hurt cry. I know the difference in my mind and reaction time. He confirmed it was. Sigh.

I could tell from her movement and where the swelling was, the injury was basically a really intense scrape coupled with the pain of a pinch. The fatty part of the palm, below the pinky is what got caught, and then scraped when she pulled it out. It looked gnarly, reminded me of the days of seeing skateboarding injuries. We avoided emergency care, but spent the day giving her plenty of TLC making her take it easy. She received a Littlest Pet Shop, hope you feel better surprise. I felt grateful it wasn't much worse. Now she's wearing a bandage on her hand to protect it during healing, more than anything else my hubby explained to Sj it was a sympathy bandage. She's a bit embarrassed by it for school, but I think it needs to be covered. Now we are off to finish shopping as I only got to about 1/3 of my list yesterday. Best way to save money at Whole Foods, get an emergency phone call demanding you race home at once. My total yesterday was $49, I am sure i'll have that beat today.

14 comments:

  1. Poor peanut. We went to a movie yesterday and I shut the van door on the Bunny's hand. Must have been in the air. It was 'PALM' sunday after all. Funny I always thought that was a Christian thing not a body part thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! so sorry to hear that, - hugs to sj from us..moments like that are equally hard on parents- we feel their pain....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that must hurt! Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Owie! Poor little girl. :( That's scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it wasn't worse! Poor baby :( I'm sure you guys gave her lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sympathies to your girl.

    My luck would have had the hottie checker decide Emergency Day was the perfect time to chat me up...

    Have fun getting back into that grocery groove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Glad to hear that it was on the minor side and Sj avoided the ER.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch...So glad it wasn't serious, although she would probably disagree. Hope she is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor sweet girl! I can imagine how that must have hurt! Hope she's doing better today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor girl :(
    Glad it wasn't too serious!
    (I saw that April Fools joke on WF--very funny!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I am so sorry - those moments as a mom are horrendus. I am glad she is ok and looks like she made some pretty eggs. I still need to buy my eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor baby. Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, poor baby! During the last round of wildfires nearly two years ago I opened our balcony door in the dorm/apartments to see how smokey it was. I had my left hand wrapped around the door frame on the left. I then shut the door (rather hard), only I forgot to move my hand out of the way. I've had a similar incident with my head and the door on the back of the van. Evidently I don't always pay attention! I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!