Friday, April 17, 2009

Where Are The Comments? In The Community...

Blogging it's easy, right? Maybe picking the name or the template is the hard part, but the blogging part we all think is easy, in the beginning. Often we read blogs written by people that make it seem so easy, so effortless. But in reality blogging is not effortless, it's work, it's time consuming, and sometimes it's hair raising!

But I'm still here. Not as often as I was a year ago, but hey I'm still here.

Which brings me to one of the biggest hurdles for new bloggers, comments. Maybe you read a blog and they get 10 comments or 28 comments or hot damn maybe they have 100's of comments. You sit in front of your computer, hit publish and expect people to flock to your post. But you hear crickets. You write a test post or comment making sure it's "working". I've been there a month into starting my blog, I thought it was broken.

The first few months I wrote my blog, barely anyone read it. Okay there were like 5 of you and I probably bribed you with homemade blueberry muffins. But I kept on pushing through. Then I realized, people aren't just going to find me out of nowhere. Even though I have become quite popular on my knowledge of children swallowing plum pits (one of my more popular posts), I was still figuring things out.

Then it happened. I opened the door and found what was missing. I started reading other blogs. I mustered up the courage to stop lurking (reading blogs and never commenting is lurking) and start commenting. I was scared to comment on posts. Two of the first blogs I started commenting on were Never A Dull Moment and A Mom Two Boys. I still read their blogs faithfully and funny enough one of them lives about 6 miles away from me, talk about the law of attraction. Then there was no turning back. It all started from there. After I found my way and comfort with commenting on blogs regularly, people started finding their way to me.

Blogging is a community. I've never felt more strongly about that then in the past week, when the community experienced a tremendous loss. We share a part of ourselves in our writing, sometimes people relate and sometimes they couldn't imagine, but that's the beauty of community. I have blogging friends from DC to NYC to Texas to California to Washington State, and all sorts of little places in between. I have blogging friends that live the next town or two over and I have met them in person. They are no longer strangers, they are my friends.

After finding your niche, reading blogs you enjoy I highly recommend Google Reader, if you don't already use it. It allows you to put all of your favorite blogs into one place, they just arrive after being published, that way you don't have to visit a site to see if there are updates. Or subscribe via email to your favorites.

One little tidbit I'd like to share is my own personal take on commenting around here at EatPlayLove. If someone comments on my blog, I always like to click through their profile and give their blog a read. Typically if I enjoy what the writer has to say, I just add the blog to my reader. But if you don't comment, I won't ever be able to return the pleasure of getting to know you. I will admit, I'm no longer a daily commenter (or comment on every post) but I do read all posts in my reader.

Even though I am fairly new to all of this, I've learned so much from blogging. It's been an adventure that has enriched my life so many times I can't count. I appreciate all of you that stop by to see what's happening in my corner of the world. Say hello and I'll do the same.

22 comments:

  1. I love this! This is exactly how it is suppose to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blog! But, you know that already :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're good at blogging, I read I just never comment. Bad lurker. One way to get hits is to post a picture of an octopus on your page. 800 hits on that thing on Wednesday alone. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, too. I used to comment ALL THE TIME. And then things happened, and I hardly wrote on my own blog, much less commented on anyone elses. Now I'm trying to find that balance...read as much as I can, comment when I can, accept it as okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true. You need to give a little to get a little, eh?

    While I transitioned from more of a Mommy Blog to a Recovery Blog, I love the fact that I can still go back to some of my early faves (you! Tammy! Suzie!) and feel like I'm right back at home.

    Have a great weekend darlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure if I've commented here yet or not. You were added to my Reader thru the SV Moms, which added to my reading load tremendously and I confess, I haven't been very good a commenting w/ all the SVMoms yet.
    This post describes perfectly what blogging has brought to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AT some point, commenting everywhere Just isn't possible. I try, but it's too much. I mean, I'm looking at 1,347 posts in my reader right now. I was gone, I know...but holy crap batman. :)

    But I read, I always do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love leaving comments as much as I love getting comments. I am getting better at commenting on my iPhone too.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, yes, commenting. Like gold. Seriously.

    I try and comment when I read even if it's not much. Sometimes when I'm mobile or at work it's not possible, but I sure try! It definitely makes a difference, and changes blogging from an online journal to a community.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true. I try to make sure I really have something to say when I comment. And sometimes all I can muster is "great post." I tend not to comment on a post that already has 50+ comments unless I really have something of value to add.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm leaving a comment. Because I read the first paragraph. But after a week of very little sleep and two glasses of wine, I haven't made it past the first paragraph.

    So, expect ANOTHER comment from me tomorrow.

    Yeah, I'm THAT good.

    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for making me feel a little 'normal'. ;)

    When I first started blogging on my baby's blog http://caringforcole.blogspot.com/ I was really good about keeping up with everything. Then I wanted to include the whole family and started this blog. I love to read all the blogs I follow and I will find myself still reading and/or commenting until 2:00 in the morning and realize I still didn't get MY post up for the day or get all my comments replied to.

    It can turn into a full time job trying to keep up with it all. Sorry to say but I'm glad I'm not alone. lol.......

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say I've been a "lurker" of your blog for quite some time! My dear friend Angela, The Parson's Family Blog, moved to Co. and found her niche and I have to admit I found your blog on her blog and so the story goes. I love reading your blog and like you with my blog never really know who's reading it. Thanks for your insight and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thanks hon. :) I've become a terrible commenter as of late. I tend to read in the reader, click through to comment, and not actually comment until the next day, if at all (like now...but at least I'm commenting this time! LOL). I live for the comments myself, they're why I do this. The community is why. But I have to confess, it's hard for me to comment for the same reason it's often hard for me to go out to meet people in larger gatherings: I just feel like I'm not that interesting. LOL! Sayeth the person with the blog...LOL! I'm working on it. ;)
    And we're going to get together soon, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well you know I love your blog and I just adore you :)
    This is a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a fellow Blogging newbie what you are saying is so right!! I finally took the plunge and stopped lurking and started engaging and participating. I am so DAMN glad that I did I have found so many incredible sites and have made some wonderful friends all over the world. It is a special community and I am grateful to be part of it!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You said what we all think! I love it when you visit my blog and comment; which in turn brings me back to yours...funny how that works!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. For me, I blog because of the community. It started out just as a way to share my family's experiences but frankly, I could do that on a private journal. But I am motivated by the comments I receive. The less interaction/feedback I receive? The less I post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Exactly. And my mostest favoritest thing is when mutual commenting becomes more, emailing, twittering, getting to know each other for whatever reason. I wish I had more time to deepen connections more often, but as you said, there's a limit to on-line time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great post, it's so true and I find new blogs and bloggers all the time. I love to read blogs and find out more and more that's out in the blogger community...thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This was an empowering post! I just recently started commenting on other blogs but it took a long time to get the courage up to do that! I kept thinking, this person doesn't know me, why the heck would they care what I think? But I took the plunge and love being part of this online community. I just received my very first comment on my blog from someone I didn't know and it was so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nicely stated. I continually fall behind and then play catch up with my Reader. I don't always comment on every post anymore (I simply don't have enough time), but I read nearly all of them and comment as much as I can. I love our online community, I have learned so much from all of you and have made so many friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!