Friday, May 29, 2009

School Is Out For Summer

School starts early here in Colorado. Like August, early. Although this particular academic year, school started a week earlier then normal. But of course there was a big huff and the schedule has changed back, a bonus this particular summer for my daughter. Now she's out of school and gets to go back to school a week later. Growing up I always started school the Tuesday after Labor Day in September. After fifteen years here in Colorado, I still feel like school in August is strange.

But now it's summer. And I haven't made any camp or class plans. Eek.

For the first time ever, I didn't want to feel constrained by camp plans. Granted my daughter is only five, but we have a wide variety of camp options from performing arts to sports to academic camps. There is a part of me that just wants to go with the flow. Anyone want to take bets as to exactly how long this philosophy is going to rear it's ugly head? Sj needs something to keep her occupied during the week, even if it's just a few hours. She needs the socializing, the creativity. It will work out.

In the mean time, I've been busy with the girls doing a craft every morning. I go on line after bedtime and pick out an activity for us to do the following day. This week it was a water activity (yeah pouring and spilling!) and Oobleck. Making Oobleck always takes me back to my teaching days. I enjoy it just as much as the girls. Well except for the washing the floors for the second time in 24 hours. The corn starch tends to make a mess.

Have fun and make some "USHY-GUSHY", if you do make it an outdoor activity. That way everyone will enjoy it. Happy summer....



13 comments:

  1. wow - you are inspiring me to have a planned craft/activity every day! I have some things lined up for my 7 year old, but nothing yet (other than swim lessons) for my 4 year old. I have to get organized so we all aren't going crazy this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I will ever get use to the 'year-round' schedule that my kids are on. They will be out next week, but then they go back in July. Then out in September for three weeks, and so on and so on. It just feels weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oobleck! That sounds great. I have to do that with my very sensory little boy. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that looks so messy! You're a braver woman than I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for doing a craft with the girls. Fun stuff that oobleck. We have 2 more weeks here. But, I'm in no rush :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. so much fun. We too have made very little plans, i want to enjoy the summer with the boy before he starts full time school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of doing a craft every morning! Doing crafts is one of my fondest summer memories from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks ushey-gushey, really ushey-gushey!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the same way this summer. My daughter did half a year of preschool last year, then a few weeks of summer campe. I wanted to keep her busy, and then I felt like all of a sudden we were back at school. This year she's doing one week of princess camp because she wanted to with a little friend, the rest of the summer we'll fill with local events and activities whenever we feel like it. If you're looking for something constructive check your local Barnes and Noble for weekly storytime. It's fun and it's free! We've been going since my daughter was a baby and love it, especially when the weather is extreme.

    BTW, I'm from NY and always started school after Labor Day, too, and like you, can't get used to this August start date!

    Have lots of summer fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear about the end of school. We have two more weeks.

    I really admire your decision about the summer, and I'm eager to read about it. I sign up the kids for camp in February. because once I sent int the registration stuff too late and they didn't get in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That craft looks like fun! I'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Summer! My other Colorado friend was just talking about the same thing... how early you all go back to school out there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like a lot of fun! I'm sure you'll have a great summer :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!