Friday, May 22, 2009

Thirty Days Isn't Enough

When I was offered the opportunity to join a gym for 30 Days, I initially scoffed at the experience. To me a gym was a scene, full of people that intimidated me. Then my thoughts turned to what do I have to lose? Without taking that too literally (I have WEIGHT to lose) I thought I would face my fears and preconceived notions of the gym scene.

Three weeks later and those notions are gone.

Yes, the grunting men that grab their arms as they flex in the mirror exist. Of course there is a handful of long haired women, with full makeup, painted nails, and a perfect tan parading through the gym. But there are more people like me than I could have ever imagined. I've actually become intrigued by all the interesting types of people that I've watched. The best part is, they are all doing their thing and not staring at my every move (oh, the things we can imagine when we are scared).

After the intimidation factor was out of the gym equation, what have I gotten from this experience? First I have to emphasize the huge support three sessions with a personal trainer gave me. My trainer has a fabulous attitude and helped me work through my mental and physical obstacles. I've learned about my physical strengths and weaknesses and am working on creating balance, while on this journey to a new me. Another bonus is the yoga classes that are offered at the gym. They are the most diverse mix of people I've ever experienced in yoga, which to me is a wonderful thing. I love how yoga helps me let go of racing thoughts and just ground myself in being present.

I can honestly say that a month membership isn't enough. When you're on a path to achieving a healthy body through fitness there isn't a set amount of days to get you to your goal, it's a LIFETIME commitment. This past week, I stepped on the scale at 9pm after a workout and it basically brought me to tears. I weighed more then I did when I started. That number surprised me and bummed me out. But I was grounded when a few texts from my personal trainer got my head back to the right place. It's true that it's not about the numbers. Heck, it's only been three weeks and I expect to drop a dramatic number (thanks, biggest loser). I know my weight is shifting and I've lost fat, my jeans are fitting differently. Once again I tell myself, it's not about the numbers.

But my journey doesn't end in thirty days, my journey is a commitment for the rest of my life. Can't wait to see where the new road takes me...

On a related note, I bought this bathing suit last night: It doesn't have a skirt to hide my non-photoshopped thighs, but it's cute. It's fun and best of all, I am determined to wear it.




14 comments:

  1. i joined the gym a while back, but i would say in the past 6 months i started taking classes and that has made a diffference, to see the different size and shape and age of every person trying to better themselves is inspiring. i now am addicted and when I miss a day i am cranky. i jsut started swimming as well and it rocks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute suit!! I am proud of you!! FYI, the stupid scale says I weigh more than ever, but my jeans that used to be too tight fit much better. The scale is evil. Ever since I started exercising the scale's numbers have increased. You can't buy into the scale!!! Keep it up!!!! Love, Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. In between my four kids after two, before 2, I was working out at a gym and in the best shape of my life. The first month the scale went UP! Adding of muscle- a good thing in the long run! Good for you for sticking with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up--odds are you are gaining muscle. I am starting a boot camp next week--I hope I can buy a suit like that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And wear it you will. Great job! You can TOTALLY do this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an AWESOME suit, and you are going to ROCK it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm laughing because I bought that same swimsuit two weeks ago. I love the fabric. Lightweight, but feels nice. I'll be the short squatty body brunette on the other side of the pool in the same swimsuit. :>

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't belonged to a gym in years... It's hard to find time when you work full time and have kids. Before kids, I'd go before work, but now that's out... I've been saying that I get plenty of exercise just chasing after my kids and picking them up as necessary - but that won't last forever. The gym is sounded pretty good right now (no matter how much I dreaded it when I exercised daily...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The suit is great! When I did boot camp, I gained weight too. But it was muscle. And now since I've been doing the gym for almost 2 years, my muscle has increased and my clothes fit differently because of that. Keep up the good work! Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. keep up the good work, you'll get there

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you!!
    I think I am one of the last people on earth who has never joined a gym...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You rock. Soooo, did you renew the membership?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you! I am completely freaked out by the idea of going to a gym. And once I quit taking yoga classes at my church (where I was considered the "young" one), my exercise dwindled to nothing. If I ever get back out there, which I know I must for my heart (and thighs!), I think the personal trainer route is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Freakin' good for you! That suit looks awesome and I bet you'll look pretty HOT in it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!