Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My First and LAST $24 Starbucks Iced Caffe Mocha

The story I am about to tell comes with a bit of hesitation, but it's also funny. Potentially making someone laugh wins out over my sheer embarrassment. Let me first start with a simple statement, I am a tea drinker. I've never really had a thing for coffee, but go through phases of convincing myself that it's time to grow up and become a coffee drinker. Typically I prefer an iced coffee heavy on the milk and a touch of vanilla syrup. Plus, I am cheap and my eyes bulge out of my head whenever I see the price of a chai latte compared to the price of a coffee. Seriously how do coffee shops get away with charging so much for a tea concentrate with some milk?

Anyway, back to the embarrassing story.

I went to sign up my daughter for a few summer camps, it was early in the afternoon and there just so happens to be a drive thru Starbucks right next door to the summer camp spot! Bonus location for camp, may I add. I thought I'll just pop in and pick up an iced coffee for a little pick me up to get me through my to do list when I returned home. When I pulled into the drive thru I was lured in by a picture on a sign above the menu of a Venti Iced Caffe Mocha. Ooh, delightful. I think chocolate and coffee, will do.

WRONG.

From this moment on may I always remember espresso is NOT the same thing as coffee, no matter how damn luring the picture on the board is! Can I just add a simple reminder here that I am normally a tea drinker, I dabble in coffee a few times a month. That evening, around bedtime and about 6 hours after I consumed my overly caffeinated beverage I needed to go the bathroom frequently. Like every 45 minutes or so.

I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

In the morning the peeing marathon continued. At this point my thoughts turned to a UTI (urinary tract infection). So guess what I started doing, drinking lots of water to flush my system. Now I am continually visiting the bathroom and I become confused as to if I am feeling a UTI coming on or if my situation is due to the upped intake of water. Quite frankly a bit of anxiety set in, which I am sure contributed to everything that was going on with my body.

I call the doctor to get an appointment to be checked for a UTI because I was leaving on a roadtrip in less then two days. I thought I better get checked and on medication if I do have one, so my roadtrip wouldn't be ruined. How fun, driving 500 miles and having to stop every 45 minutes to go to the bathroom. I don't know if you've ever traveled i-80 in Nebraska, but skipping the restrooms when possible is the best idea.

My doctor visit, co-pay $20. Diagnosis, my urine was clean. But my pulse was sure elevated. The doctor wrote me a script in case more traditional symptoms appear on my getaway. Guess what, they didn't. About 24 hours after this doctor visit, I had a realization. Caffeine is a diuretic. My body couldn't handle the dose of caffeine I put in it. Boy that stuff is wild when your body isn't use to it. Then I visited the informative Starbucks website and found out some very interesting information.

Grande Iced Coffee has 120 mg of caffeine.
Venti Green Tea Latte has 80 mg of caffeine.
Venti Iced Caffe Mocha has 265mg of caffeine.

The drink I casually ordered had close to three times the amount of caffeine my body is accustomed to taking in. At the very least double the caffeine. Boy did it do a number on myself. I feel so foolish that I went to the doctor with Caffe Mocha induced tinkling. What an idiot. $4 for my drink and $20 doctor co-pay for no reason equals a $24 Iced Caffe Mocha.

Never again. I don't know how you espresso fanatics do it.

21 comments:

  1. LOL.. we condition ourselves!

    And let me tell you quitting them is very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Denise, but that really is too funny. Not in a oh-god-denise-has-to-go-to-the-doctor kind of way, but just how you tell the story.

    Shocking, too, about the caffeine levels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell you why I can handle large amounts of caffeine. My mother used to put Hot Tea with cream and sugar in my BOTTLE! Yep, Connie has been getting a *fix* since she was a baby! I didn't start drinking coffee until I was in my late 20's. I regret all of that precious time I missed....

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Starbucks coffee has A LOT of caffeine. I get my beans from the Whole Foods Roaster--not as much and I can control the strength ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can only drink coffee in the winter, for some reason?

    Sounds like you have a sensitive system! Glad it wasn't a UTI, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice.. its beautiful article

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great writing.. I also believe in love and play... with of course work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no!
    I can't drink any caffeine after lunchtime or I can't sleep.
    Better to stick with tea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the grande iced coffee is not backfiring right about now! xoxo Keri

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. I have to laugh. I drink one of those every single day. It's like air. I can't live without it. But it would definitely be a shock to your system if you aren't used to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! That is certainly an expensive coffee.

    Be thankful you didn't order a Triple Venti. Has an extra shot of espresso!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!! Sorry to laugh at your expense, but after a terrible day, this really made me LOL! So no treating you to another. Call me. Lets get together. Gin

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really funny story. I would not make it through my numerous travels and all around busy schedule without my good friend Espresso (in the form of a non-fat with 1 shot of vanilla).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! Espresso is my friend. Espresso and I whisper sweet nothings to one another. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is incredibly funny.

    I'm with you on the tea and the caffeine intake - espresso is very different from coffee, although, I can handle a tall mocha occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing how our imaginations can take over... I have these tendencies as well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm an occasional coffee-drinker just like you. In a caffeine-addicted world, it can be a bit lonely. So, every once in awhile when my husband wants to go to Starbucks, I'll get a fancy, sweet coffee drink. It always makes me sick and have to spend the entire day in the bathroom, but I do it anyway. I even fool myself into thinking I can handle the iced coffee drinks at Burger King and McDonalds on those days I think I need the energy. But, it never fails: I just get jittery, sick and leaky, not necessarily the energy I was looking for. So, this story made me laugh because I can see myself doing the same thing not knowing what I was ordering! So glad I've now been forewarned so I don't make the same mistake next time I succumb to peer pressure at Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, that's terrible! I'm a tea drinker, but I still enjoy the peppermint mochas that Starbucks does. Occasionally I forget about my caffiene sensitivity and order a medium instead of a small... and then i get all jittery and sick-like. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's crazy. I'm even more glad I'm not a coffee drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is a huge amount of caffeine, wow. never could do the coffee thing either, probably just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL!!! I could've warned you about coffee. Speaking from experience. Everytime I have my cup in the morning, I visit the bathroom 3-4 times easily. - MH

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!