Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Summer Travel, Is Now Summer Dreaming...

My husband and I are both from Upstate New York. Our families live less then ten miles apart. A bonus for traveling to visit our family, considering we live 1,800 miles away. We haven't been back to New York to visit since I was pregnant with my youngest, whom is now 2.5. If you do the math, yes it's been way too long.

I sit here thinking of all the people that haven't even met my youngest daughter. A grandparent, a couple of uncles, numerous cousins, plus friends from home that are also family to us. It seems kind of strange to me to think that my children don't know their relatives, but as with life, it's complicated. Obviously location makes the issue, but now we are facing a new dilemma.

Purchasing FOUR plane tickets.

The current going rate for four plane tickets to upstate New York is around $1,800. Gulp. Completely ridiculous and heartbreaking, rolled into one big scenario.

As I sit here and type about New York, I really should be in New York. My mother had vacation time scheduled. We had plans to take a road trip and visit friends and even a beach. But instead, we are home. My husband is off to the west coast, getting work done when we should be on vacation. Multiple times I day, I check and re-check airfares. Hoping to happen upon some glitch and hit a decently priced airfare so we can have one big family reunion. No luck. Now, we are missing our window of opportunity. My hubby can only travel certain weeks and the end of summer is hands down the most stressful and busiest time for his job. He tells me, Fall will be better.

But I can't stop thinking about how we should be there now. Relaxing and enjoying time with family...

18 comments:

  1. We have the same problem. Airfare to Dallas is expensive and driving takes too dang long with two toddlers.

    I hope you find a great deal and you can go.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. My family is in Cleveland and airfare for six is not cheap. We usually drive--seriously you'd be amazed at how not bad it is once you have done it a few times. We don't even have a dvd player and it's actually pretty fun. You may want to look into it--maybe making planned stops at some good tourist areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I can relate because I live in the same city I grew up in and all of our immediate family is here, too, but I do feel for you and will be sending good vibes for you to find an affordable airfare. Just one tip: a lot of airlines change their rates one their websites between midnight and 2AM on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Sometime you can snag a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The upside of Fall is that typically airfares are cheaper then. Summer is prime time, and always more money. Southwest Airlines is currently booking into October with some pretty good deals. Still nothing free, unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry :( Did you check lastminute.com? Sometimes they have good deals. A cross country drive would be fun, but not for everyone. I hope you find somewhere fun and relaxing to go this summer. Always remember you are welcome any time :)~ Love, MH

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel... And we have the added bonus of trying to figure out how to do seating for two adults and three toddlers/preschoolers on a plane (from Miami to Key West) with only four seats per row. Not possible. And yes - very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stinks -keep checking Priceline and all the other similar sites, and let me know if you're going to be in the area. We'll have to have a coffee if you're going to be in S.L. at any point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i feel for you, i almost feel it's cheaper to pay for my parents to come here than for us to go there. From experience Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the cheapest days. Have you tried southwest, or would you ever consider driving there (I know most people wouldn't)? Maybe fly somewhere else then drive to NY?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I'm sorry. I hope it works out and you and your family can by in NY soon.
    Where in NY, btw? Both my husband and I went to college in upstate NY (different schools).

    Hoping it works out for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no...that is so hard...I do hope you find a window somewhere:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bummer. We'd really like to got to London to visit some of my husband's family, but airfare for a family of five is ridiculous.

    I hope you find a cheap, last minute fare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's so stressful! i hope you can visit in the fall--hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I forgot to mention yesterday... but kayak.com searches a majority of airlines and travel sites (Southwest not included, unfortunately). It's a great way to check flexible dates across several options. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a ridiculous price! Good grief. I'm sorry things aren't working out the way you'd hoped. I hope that something works out here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband and I both have family in NY (upstate and on Long Island). It's hard living 2500 miles from relatives, so I feel your pain. When we had to go to NY last summer, I spent a week staying up all night searching for a lower airfare. I finally found one in the wee hours of the morning through Expedia, which I like because you can fly in and out of different nearby airports or on different airlines to get the best prices. My mother is coming here to Utah and just found a fare for under $350. So it may be possible. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have this same problem. If I hadn't taken my kids to see my dad and step-mom, it could have been years, like five, maybe ten before they come out here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My husband's family is in upstate NY too. Not only is it always expensive, but it requires two flights -- usually through Chicago, which invariably means delays. We just found decent fares (around $400) and used miles too...

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's why we drove to Chicago in December. Woulda been the same cost for four tix there. Insane. I hope you guys get out there soon.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!