Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summertime, Oh How I Love Summer...

Today I thought to myself, what if I just sat down and wrote without a focus. Long ago, I would just stand at an easel and paint. I didn't know what I was going to paint, I just pushed the paint around created something with out preconception. Maybe I'm writing on a whim, I've got some posts mulling around in my head, but they aren't quite ready to be written. 

Maybe this whimsical feeling can be blamed on summer's arrival. The days have been passing so quickly, my daughter has been out of a school for a month already. For once we aren't overbooked. We spend our days mainly hanging out around the house, creating craft projects, watering plants, gardening, swinging, building sandcastles, playing jump rope, and of the last two days swimming in the pool. I've been trying to keep on top of housework considering we are here all day long, but playing is more fun. The housework just has to wait sometimes. Not sure if I should be proud of that or just cringe inside, maybe a bit of both.

Today for example, I made friendship bracelets for my girls. Sj helped me, but she isn't quite old enough for the finger weaving style of bracelet making that I know. For fun we put the easel up out back and the girls painted outside, under the shade of the cottonwood tree. We put ice in our drinks, sipping them on the porch, ice just seems to make the day more special. Isn't that what summer is about? No where to run to, no stress, just us hanging out. After lunch we went swimming. Now I use the term swimming loosely as we don't actually swim, more like wade around the three feet deep vinyl water vessel in the backyard. It's a quick dip because the water isn't exactly warm, but it's getting there.

Summertime, oh how I love summer.

Later tonight we took Sj to her new school after dinner to play on the playground. My heart just swelled with joy as I watched her running around laughing and bouncing from swings to teeter totter to playstructure. The view from the playground is amazing, as the Flatirons are just off in the distance. The grounds are filled with beautiful gardens and blooming flowers. There's a part of me that still can't believe she really got into this school. I feel so lucky. Lucky enough I played the lottery last week. It's amazing to stand in the presence of a dream finally realized.

Maybe tomorrow I will finally get to the grocery store, which I've been meaning to do since Sunday evening. Or maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just lounge around enjoying the girls playing with one another, getting head to toe messy and dirty, doing crafts, singing songs, and making a game of doing dishes (just add lots of bubbles, it works everytime).

Summertime, oh how I love summer.

10 comments:

  1. Playing is definitely a lot more fun than housework.

    Isn't summer beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds heavenly. I sure wish summer would show up here in NE. ((sigh)) Don't mind me, I'm losing my sanity from all this damn rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Colorado girl! I left you an award on my blog today :) So glad that summer has finally come to the Rocky Mountains! Its been gorgeous down here in Durango.

    ReplyDelete
  4. summers are good. sounds as if you are enjoying yours. and sounds as if you are creating some great memories for your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping that life can be like this once my kids get a little bit older. Nothing is relaxing right now... But I will miss my "babies" so I appreciate this time for what it does offer. And there isn't anything cuter than toddlers running around in swim diaper stuffed bathing suits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So with you. And I love how summer feels more like summer again as Dex gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had time to play. Today is so beautiful. I walked across campus to a meeting, feeling the sun on my shoulders, and I wanted to lay down on the grass and pick animal shapes out of the clouds. But alas, I had to hurry over to train someone on how to manage their website, in a dark room with no windows.

    It's days like today that I think about giving up my corporate salary and becoming a teacher, just so I can have my summers off. I had 2 weeks off in June, but that was just a tease.

    You are lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Summer is beautiful. It sounds like you are enjoying it to the fullest. I need to work on doing that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the ease of summer. It's so amazing. Beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!