Monday, June 29, 2009

Where Colorado Locals Go: Lunch at Cherry Cricket & Denver Art Museum

While my husband took a few days off, we decided to do a little local exploration. We live less then 15 miles outside of Denver, so literally it's a hop, skip, and a jump away. The first destination on our staycation, the Cherry Cricket in the swanky Cherry Creek neighborhood. After finding a parking spot, you may chuckle as across the street are high end design stores and fancy schmancy boutiques. Now the Cherry Cricket I can guarantee is a step back through time, a feeling which overcomes you as soon as you enter the door. The lighting is dim, the paneling is heavy dark wood, and the place generally has an well established feel to it.

As you can imagine, the food is good in a place that's been around since the 1950's. The menu is classic for this type of restaurant (bar food) burgers, wings, appetizers, sandwiches, and a few mexican inspired dishes. I ordered the Philly steak sandwich and my hubby ordered of course, the classic 1/2 pound cricket burger. The meat was super tender and delicious in my sandwich and my hubby was happy to offer me a bite before his burger disappeared. For us the experience is more about the history, the lure, the story and the bonus was a great meal. Yes, we took our girls. They have kids menus, a fish tank, cricket hand stamps, and super friendly staff. Definitely a recommendation to escape the hum dum chain restaurant burger experience, a little piece of food culture in Denver.

Then off to the Denver Art Museum for an afternoon of exploring! Over the last five years the Museum has undergone some major transformation, with the addition of the Frederic C. Hamilton Building, the architectural design captures your attention and lures you in with excitement. One of the best things about taking our children to the Denver Art Museum is all the family friendly activities that they offer to enhance your experience in the Museum. For a simple trade of an identification card, you can pick up a back pack or two that contain hands on art activities that accompany particular exhibits in the museum. The backpack we chose had fun magnets to recreate a totem pole from the exhibit and different materials in the pouch for the girls to feel like a piece of copper and bark, in addition to a craft. There are also marked spots through out the galleries and exhibits that have kid friendly stations. Although J and I were rushed through the exhibits at a pace we weren't accustomed to, the girls had a fabulous time. This particular exhibit Fox Games by Sandy Skoglund allowed the girls an opportunity to walk through the installation feeling like they were a part of the art. To top off the North Building has a Family Center with more activities for children to participate in. Dress up, drawing, matching shell game, sculptures to climb on, books, funny mirrors, blocks to build whatever your imagination desires. We had so much fun, it might just be time for a membership, the cost to enter was free for the girls (5 and under), $10 Colorado Adult, $8 Colorado Student. For the four of us it was $18, money well spent. 

Two thumbs up Denver Art Museum, we had a blast. Can't wait to return!

***FYI, this is just a glimpse into a day off with our girls. I was not asked to visit or write about either location for my blog, we happily paid for our experiences at both places.***

7 comments:

  1. I won a family membership to the DAM at an auction last year, and it's been a joy. We love the backpacks, and the bubble-stomping corner, and the "make a postcard" exercise in the Western Art section.

    And the Cherry Cricket is awesome, especially now that no smoking is allowed. Love their onion rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time! I need to visit the Art Museum with my kids next time we are in town.

    During my one and only visit to The Cricket, I recognized the guy at the next table and it turned out to be Brian Griese...quarterback of the Denver Broncos! I was star struck and he looked like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I tend to only go to things like that when visitors are in town. I like the Staycation idea but wonder if I could actually relax...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Cherry Cricket!!!
    I am from Colorado too so hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to hear you had such a good time, hope to see you again soon. We heart families! Thanks for the write up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a staycation. It sounds like you had a fabulous time. That exhibit looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you guys have been checking things out in the Denver area. Staycations are GREAT!~ MH

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!