Monday, July 20, 2009

Bottom Line, We Are The Rescue Type...

Life has been full of excitement and adventure this past weekend. On a whim we visited the Humane Society and found a dog we fell for. Interestingly enough, the Humane Society is a place I can walk into time and time again and walk away from quite easily. But this time it was different. We've been looking to get a dog, but wavering between a labradoodle (for the hypo allergenic fur) or finding a rescue. The rescue option in the past has been a bit frustrating. My daughters' safety is at the top of our list, so a rescue would have to be a great dog. The Humane Society does a battery of testing including personality testing to give families insight into the dog being a fit for their family.

Enter Buddy.

All the dogs at the Humane Society bark and jump up, but Buddy was just sitting there. I could see the kindness in the wag of his tail and a little lean in to the metal bars of the kennel, his soft gentle eyes glanced up at me. Adorable, my heart was melting. I haven't really felt that way at the HS after losing Guinness, sure i've seen sweet dogs, but not like Buddy.

Buddy is very reminiscent of our first dog, a black lab adopted at the same Humane Society. Guinness brought joy to us for 12 years, before passing away on July 15, 2005. We met buddy July 18. Buddy is eight months old, so was Guinness when we adopted him. There are lots of similarities in personality and appearances, so it just feels right to us to welcome Buddy in our home.

Now Buddy is home and we decided to change his name to MILO.

Milo has an incredibly sweet and gentle nature to him. He sniffs at other dogs, hasn't shown aggression with other dogs or cats. He lets us grab his paws when he's laying down, we tugged and prodded at him. He likes being accompanied outside in our fenced yard to go to the bathroom (yeah working on that one). He's starting to come out of his shell a bit. We were up once at 3:30 to let him go to the bathroom. Being a rescue I can see he needs some structure as far as potty training, feeding, etc but can tell he will quickly respond. Best of all our girls are thrilled. Anyone with children and no pets in the home, more than likely knows the daily constant questioning about getting a pet. Finally we got a pet.

It's very odd to have a doggie in our presence again, after four years. But I can tell this guy is a keeper.

12 comments:

  1. Oh he sure looks like a keeper to me too. He looks an awful lot like our rescued black lab, Dublin. There's just such a special bond between you and the dog you've rescued, isn't there? Dublin is 4 years old; we rescued him 2 years ago and haven't looked back since. Hope Milo brings you years of happiness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So adorable. I can see how you fell for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he just looks so cute. I am sure the girls are just loving it. I hope he brings you many years of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Milo sounds like a real sweetie.

    When we adopted our second dog from the shelter, she was SO polite that we hadn't even noticed her the first time through. They asked if we'd seen her, and when we went back she was just standing there politely looking at me. Saying please. With THOSE eyes.

    That's why I can't even go looking until we're ready to replace them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YAY!!!! Congratulations on your new family member. That is so exciting! :)

    My boys are constantly asking for a dog, and I want one too. Just, maybe not right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that little guy?!
    So happy you were able to 'save' a dog from humane society--I am big believer in their cause :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, congrats D! Welcome sweet little Milo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He looks like a great dog. Love the name Milo too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you rescued Milo!!!! XOXOKeri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, Milo is beautiful! I'm so excited that you found such a wonderful dog. Puppies are fabulous! Can't wait to see more pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is so stinkin' cute! - MH

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's how I felt about my sweet Rosie. I just knew when I saw her at the shelter. I'm so glad Milo has you, and you guys have him! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!