Friday, July 24, 2009

In My Circle of Friends, Swiper is a Scrabble Word...

Just this past month I've discovered Scrabble on Facebook. Oh boy. Hands down Scrabble is my favorite game to play. It reminds me of my childhood, it's the one game I can remember my parents playing. I like the rush of picking tiles, feeling them in between your fingers as my brain scrambles to create a word. Or better yet, create a word with all of the tiles that is actually playable on the board, hello 50 point bonus. Big rush.

Scrabble on Facebook doesn't have the same appeal to me that playing in real life has. For one, there is no handling of the tiles. I also like the conversation that transpires over the course of a game. But Scrabble on Facebook does have the perk of computerized tallying of scores, which is nice. Last weekend I played Scrabble in real life with a friend and I am sad to admit it felt foreign. Figuring the scores, trying to get the tiles to line up perfectly in their squares, moving the board around from person to person, that was odd from my usual computer play.

Nothing beats the feeling of a good play in real life, say for example spelling the word "induct" with a triple word bonus (upper right corner of the board) and than following that play with turning induct into "inducting" for yet another triple word score. Talk about the smell of victory. Although I will admit, when I play with friends IRL (in real life), I'm not so serious about word challenges. Many times through out the game we would toss out words wondering if it would be acceptable in play. Take for example NIA which is popular in our neck of the woods, but not an official Scrabble word. Neither is Swiper, but we all love Swiper don't we (and my friend even came up with one of those credit card, swipers, aha what humor we have). I know I owe my love of Scrabble to my parents, my mother and father both complete the Jumble in the newspaper everyday. They occasionally call me when they are stuck on a word. I like the Jumble, but I love Scrabble. Any way you mix it, I guess our family just has a love for making words.

If we are FB friends, I'd love to play a round of Scrabble with you, it's free. Just invite me. I'm in.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't started that particular FB addiction yet.

    Looks like fun though and I'm always fond of people who have a love of words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were definitely a scrabble family too, we played several games when i was home in Scotland last month. you know me i am so up for another game of scrabble on FB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to play the game on FB (so much of FB alludes me; just figured out you can 'chat'!) but I'd love to join you in a game--but remember 'backyardigan' is also a word :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE Scrabble! It's my favorite game. Our family played it all of the time when I was younger. Now, S and I play it frequently. It's fun playing with you on FB!-MH

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love Scrabble here, too. Nothing pleased me more than when my son was old enough to play - and actually compete with me. My very favorite gift of the last few years was the turntable version of Scrabble - you don't have to pass it back and forth, and the squares have ridges so the tiles don't slide around. I'll look for you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried to play "swiper" on FB Scrabble and it wouldn't let me. I hope no one tells Dora.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! That table cloth looks familiar. Greetings from the Pacific Northwest. Guess who?

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!