Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kitchen Sink Meal: Savory Waffles and Salad!

Lately we've been doing our grocery shopping somewhat backwards. We've been opting to shop at the end of the week, so we are stocked up to cook great meals at home over the weekend rather than eating out. Traditionally I would shop either Monday or Tuesday and buy food for the week.

But this new method of shopping isn't really working come mid week. I am feeling ill prepared come Wednesday for what to make for dinner. Typically all the meat we purchased on Friday has been eaten. Considering J and I were vegetarians for over a decade, we are very good at whipping up meat free meals. Plus, we don't mind the flexibility in our diets, meat free is great a couple times a week.

Once again tonight I ran into the same dilemma, what to make for dinner? The clock is past five and it's hot out, both of those factors influenced my dinner decisions. Yes, I could pick up the phone and ask my hubby to pick up dinner, but if I just step back and take a close look at what is on hand, dinner may only be twenty minutes away. I know my life would be so much easier if I planned meals, but it's just not my thing I can never stick to menu planning. Dinner time has become a kitchen challenge (are there cameras in my kitchen ceiling?). My challenge, make a nutritious dinner with limited ingredients. In my pantry I found the following canned items (my pantry is bare, really bare) pumpkin, jalapenos, water chestnuts, jellied cranberries, roasted red peppers, and tomato paste. Slim pickings.

Assessing the situation, I came up with Waffles. I would whip up two batches of homemade waffles, first a pumpkin batch for the girls and the other batch, turkey and cheese. Eew or yum? You decide. I am a huge fan of savory food, so I thought I'd go for it.

Now let me share the waffle recipe called for ham and cheese, that sounds better doesn't it? But I only had turkey or pancetta in my refrigerator, so I opted for turkey. I chopped up the turkey to add to the batter with a mixture of grated romano and cheddar cheeses. In the future, I think I would hold on the turkey just because the flavor got lost in the sharp cheeses. We topped the waffle with a simple salad of greens, grated beets, and red peppers. I added some extra blue cheese dressing on top.

The savory waffle was a hit! Basically if you like having fresh bread with your salad, this is the same concept. The waffle was a little crisp from the melty cheese and it complimented the salad nicely. My husband who was pleasantly surprised by this whip up dinner said, "maybe we should open a waffle and salad restaurant". Funny.

Yes I put the salad right on top of my waffle and ate it all together. Here it is: After this delicious dinner, I nibbled on a pumpkin waffle for dessert. Seems I love anything pumpkin, even if it's 90 degrees and July. Let's not let Fall corner the market on wonderful pumpkin treats!

Have any favorite kitchen sink whip ups you'd love to share, I can always use some inspiration.

Savory Waffle Recipe:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups milk (plus 2 tablespoons if you like batter looser)
1 egg
1/2 stick of butter melted
Few slices of ham, turkey, or bacon or any meat on hand.
1 cup cheese on hand (I used romano and cheddar)

1.Stir together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl.

2. Stir together wet ingredients in large glass measuring cup, break up yolk before mixing. (Hold out additional tbsp milk).

3. Pour liquid ingredients into mixing bowl with dry ingredients, mix with wooden spoon until mixture is moistened. Don't overmix, some lumps are okay. Stir in meat and cheese. This is when I judge the consistency of the batter, I like my batter a bit looser so I add in an addition two tablespoons of milk, it's up to your preference.

4. Heat waffle iron, spray with cooking spray.

5. Poor batter in, judging by your waffle makers size, I use a Krups waffle maker and it takes about two heaping wooden spoons full of batter. It also has a green light to notify me when it's ready and when waffles are cooked. If your doesn't it takes about 4-7 minutes a waffle. Cook to desired crispness.

6. Enjoy. Lovely topped with farm fresh greens and blue cheese dressing.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, you are impressive. I would have made organic chicken hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! Waffles are quite the dinner item in the south; waffles and fried chicken. I've occasionally done breakfast for dinner too. With that pancetta you can crisp it up, serve it over your greens and then top it off with an egg.~ MH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's such a great idea! I so wish I had a waffle iron now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That seems like a very cool idea--I might be stealing that one on our Thursday night--we shop on Friday :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!