Friday, August 14, 2009

One Dollar Investment, My Reupholstered Chair Story...

Last weekend, the girls and I were headed off on an adventure to the dog park with our new boy Milo. As we drove down the street we decided to stop by a large garage sale that was just setting up. A chair caught my attention (for obvious reasons, it's orange) but I looked beyond it's 70's fabric and examined the chair further. The chair was pretty solidly constructed and while I was poking and prodding the chair the woman hosting the sale said, "One buck and it's yours".

I really need a second chair for my living room and finally I think I may have found it. And how could I pass up that offer... Here's the orange beauty:

I've never reupholstered any furniture, but rather I just went with my instinct as to how to tackle the project. I covered the chair with white batting first with out removing the original orange velvetly material. Then I applied the floral material. I stapled with a staple gun the batting first then followed with the material. I invested $6 a yard for three yards of material.

After the floral fabric was stapled into place, I added green trim with glue to cover the staples on the edging. Considering I have never done this before, I didn't go overboard with my investment in material and trim. I picked out a color that coordinated nicely with the fabric and that was on clearance for .50 cents a yard. Yeah, I'm thrifty like that.

The final phase of my project is recovering the pillow that sits on the back. I'm waiting until the weekend because this involves using the sewing machine. But so far, I'm proud with how the chair looks and can't take my eyes off of it. It's a nice addition to the living room, I have two other pieces of solid colored furniture so the chair really pops and creates a focal point. Now, it's even got a great story to go with it.

I will post a picture of the final project. I recommend keeping your eye out for a gem even if it may take some vision to see it's possibilities.

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Beautiful. I have always wanted to do that but I literally have no clue. Well done, it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks SO GOOD! I love the fabric. Nice work, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! I'm digging the fabric you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You have inspired me! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Your DIY skills are very impressive. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like one of those pricey Pottery Barn Chairs! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am exceedingly impressed at your domesticity and ambition. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great, good luck with the back this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock! It looks great. Show us more pictures when you finish the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job--you have some fantastic taste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are one crafty chick. i am so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks fabulous! You are so clever. :) I can't wait to see the finished product!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is totally inspiring! I've got an old chair that needs to be reupholstered, and I've been overwhelmed thinking about how much it would cost. I'll just find some fabric and do it myself!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!