Last weekend, the girls and I were headed off on an adventure to the dog park with our new boy Milo. As we drove down the street we decided to stop by a large garage sale that was just setting up. A chair caught my attention (for obvious reasons, it's orange) but I looked beyond it's 70's fabric and examined the chair further. The chair was pretty solidly constructed and while I was poking and prodding the chair the woman hosting the sale said, "One buck and it's yours".
I really need a second chair for my living room and finally I think I may have found it. And how could I pass up that offer... Here's the orange beauty:
I've never reupholstered any furniture, but rather I just went with my instinct as to how to tackle the project. I covered the chair with white batting first with out removing the original orange velvetly material. Then I applied the floral material. I stapled with a staple gun the batting first then followed with the material. I invested $6 a yard for three yards of material.
After the floral fabric was stapled into place, I added green trim with glue to cover the staples on the edging. Considering I have never done this before, I didn't go overboard with my investment in material and trim. I picked out a color that coordinated nicely with the fabric and that was on clearance for .50 cents a yard. Yeah, I'm thrifty like that.
The final phase of my project is recovering the pillow that sits on the back. I'm waiting until the weekend because this involves using the sewing machine. But so far, I'm proud with how the chair looks and can't take my eyes off of it. It's a nice addition to the living room, I have two other pieces of solid colored furniture so the chair really pops and creates a focal point. Now, it's even got a great story to go with it.
I will post a picture of the final project. I recommend keeping your eye out for a gem even if it may take some vision to see it's possibilities.