I've been spending plenty of time behind the wheel the past couple of weeks, with our new school commute. Today I've been inspired by all those folks on the road that think driving is a luxury like watching television. I think the one detriment to the safety and ease of driving today is that so many people take for granted how quickly things can turn dangerous for others when they multitask behind the wheel. You're not on your couch people, you are operating HEAVY MACHINERY!!!
I haven't hesitated to use my horn while driving and this is what some of the people on the road next to me have been doing:
1. Eating with a spoon, like a full on meal, while driving 50 miles per hour in the left lane of a 65 MPH highway.
2. Reading a book while driving on the same highway, book on steering wheel, driver in left lane of course.
3. Driving on a highway and trying to reach for something on the floor of your car or in the backseat, please note, not at a red light, ON THE HIGHWAY.
4. Texting or tweeting or updating your FB status, I don't know which, while driving so you inadvertently swerve into me as I am the poor soul lucky enough to be driving next to you.
5. I will honk at you if the rear door of your minivan pops open while driving and you don't realize it for at least 1/2 a mile. Oh and a piece of luggage falls out. Hi, um Wake Up!
6. Clipboard out on steering wheel and taking notes, jotting life lessons?
7. If you allow TWO children under the age of 5 play in the front seat of a car while driving on a major 4 LANE road in my town, not buckled in. Oh and one may actually take your glasses off while you are trying to operate the car.
8. If I know you and you are driving by!
9. If I am happily driving the speed limit (oh let's say 45) and you blow through a red light with out stopping to take a right on red and then I have to slam on my brakes to avoid totalling the rear end of your Nissan Sentra.
10. Applying makeup, namely eye make up or plucking eye brows. Mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow. Beep, Beep, Beep!
11. Well I won't honk, but I will sure as heck shoot you daggers if you are smoking, windows rolled up, and you have small children trapped in the vehicle with you. Shame on you.
12. You have a dog on your lap while driving, casually sticking it's head out the window, or just nuzzling you. Oh so precious, NOT. I didn't honk, but come on people.
13. While driving you decide to eat a burger, sip a coke, while smoking a cigarette, and talking on your handheld cellphone. Oh don't think I won't.
Consider this my public service announcement. But in all seriousness, I wish people would take driving more seriously, your life could change in an instant.