Monday, September 7, 2009

Getting Back In The Saddle Again...

Miss me? Consider my absence gift for your never ending reader or one less email in your inbox. What's funny about my lack of writing is that I recently had my parents visiting for two weeks, which should have made my time to write more abundant. But rather, I barely sat down at my computer.

Truth be told, August and September is a rough time for me. My husband is in the thick of wrapping the movie, just like he has been for the last 10 years at this time of year. I always get the, "are you surprised" response from him when I complain about his long hours. I'm not surprised, but it just never gets easier. Long days at work, maybe a 17 hour day was the longest lately, turns into a trip to do all the post-production work out of town. A two week trip. Sigh.

To top off all the fun that August and September brings around here, my oldest started school. A new school that's not right around the corner. My hubby usually does the morning portion of the drive, but if you put the pieces together, him not in town equals me driving both legs of the school commute. I really don't mind it much, but the mornings have been the biggest transition for me.

Confession time.

Up until mid-August, I was a morning lounger. My husband always gets up with the girls whatever awful time that may be. And me, I sleep in. Typically J didn't have to leave for work until 8:30 so most mornings you would find me in bed, yes EVEN ON THE WEEKENDS. Most of the time, I had breakfast in bed. Lazy me. Oh the memories. The fleeting memories.

But now, I'm mom to a school age girl that needs a lunch packed daily. I am busy packing a bento lunch every morning, which means I am up and rearing to go at, eek 6am. It's a big transition from the casual morning in bed.

What's the saying feast or famine, that's my life. There's more coming, it feels good to be back in the saddle again.


  1. What a lucky girl you were to have hubby up for you.

    We bought the laptop bento lunchbox thanks to you and that post. The kids LOVE it! Please send me some ideas that Sj loves. I am going to try the "night before" packing since E has to be at school at 7:50. Early birds starting tomorrow! - MH

  2. It's good to have "change-ups" in our routine to keep it all fresh. I too would mourn the loss of sleeping in though. However... with the start of school age children those days could be over... :)

  3. Sounds like a huge adjustment! Yikes! Good luck. I've always been a morning person, so having kids hasn't changed *too* much for me... but even so I'm exhausted.

    Time to go to bed earlier! :) lol

  4. I'm a morning lounger myself...that all changes tom:O

  5. Ah - you sound like my husband on the weekends. Today he literally lounged around in bed AWAKE for an hour while I was downstairs with the kids.

    I have always let Chris sleep in whenever possible. I'm much more of a morning person than he is. Seems fair enough to me since I'd probably be getting up anyway.

    Good luck with the new schedule!

  6. I have to say I would kill someone to sleep until 8:30 right now. Except that I'd literally have to kill four small someones and I kind of like having them around. Good luck with the new schedule. It's tough at first for sure.

  7. You should try doing lunch the night before it will save you a few more minutes in the morning. We try to take the getting up in the morning in turns, so we each get a few extra minutes every now and again!

  8. You're lucky you don't have me as a wife or uh husband. Joe pulls that scheiße everyday!!! I am not nice to him. But I feel your workaholic husband pain. 5 years of 17 hour days and travel and the client entertaining...oh look I'm ranting :)

  9. Oh, 8:30 am! That sounds like heaven. Maybe in a few summers, I'll be in your flip flops.

  10. I wish I was lucky enough to lounge in bed in the mornings. I hope the school year goes well. I can't wait to hear more about Sj's fabulous new school!

  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!