Friday, September 18, 2009

My Bakery, My Words, Dancing In My Mind...

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night. I toss and turn, kick the covers off or cover up to my shoulders, move onto my stomach, back, flip and repeat. Then my brain seems to take over any potential chance of settling back down to where my body is.

Resting body, racing mind.

It's funny what enters my mind during those restless moments. You know the ones, when you feel so awake but in all reality you are really like 75% asleep. In the middle of the night is when I dream about my future. My aspirations, my inner most desires to be successful in the business world. To kick bakery ass.

I lay in bed thinking of what I would name my bakery or the flavors of cupcakes I would stock. How many of each flavor I would bake daily, what my hours would be, what days I would be open. What flavors would be in my rotation, I would have to offer a gluten free cake. Dreaming of concoctions that don't exist, that i've never made. Quirky names or serious names for my cakes? Where I would actually bake, my hair pulled back in a ponytail and my pink New York Yankees cap on, I'm so not the hair net type. Where I would buy ingredients, what websites to order super funky packaging from, and savvy friends I would ask to create my logo. I see the building, the sign, I see me smiling behind the counter of lovingly made treats with a sugar charged smile, but underslept eyes. I see customers stretching out the door and laughter from their eyes in anticipation of the first bite. So many lucid details.

Or then my thoughts move on. Drift into another moment. Quite truthfully, I think about blogging in those wee hours on the edge of reality. Is it really 3:33 am? Nah, can't be. And boy do those mental posts have StumbleUpon written all over them, StatCounter through the roof, and Blogger servers crashed. I could write a post over and over in my head, dancing with words and the opening sentence across the dance floor of my mind. And of course, simultaneously convince myself I WILL remember it in the morning. I don't need to dig out a pen, flashlight, and paper. Nah, I've got it. Locked and sealed. Reality is, I rarely remember.

Some folks sleepwalk or sleep eat, but not me. I'm a sleep writer, a sleep entrepreneur crushing Donald Trump one sleepless night at a time. Maybe if I could only put my restless will into my daytime consciousness, my life would be complete.

13 comments:

  1. I am a sleep writer, too! And I always hate myself in the morning for not having a notebook and pen at my bedside so I can write down my post ideas... because all too often, these brilliant post ideas I had in the middle of the night are forgotten as soon as I wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bakery!!!! YUM! I am not much of a baker, but I love to eat what others make.

    Good luck crushing the Trumps out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you get a lot of your daydreaming done at night! I'll bet you incorporate a lot more of your nocturnal musings into your life than you realize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time to get baking your signature variety Chris Martin cupcake! Keri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sleep writer is much better than being a psychic dreamer where you sail to a desert island in a shark's mouth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get those sometimes too. I think it's a sign, or life "whispering" at you, as Oprah calls it. Never know till you try!- MH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to come to your bakery! What kind of coffee will you serve?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know if you want a bakery partner ;)

    Maybe you should keep a journal by your bed to jot down ideas in your sleep author state ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to keep a pad by my bed...I always think I'm coming up with great ideas at night...then I wake up and immediately forget:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do that in the shower too, compose and entire brilliant post that I can't remember.

    I would love to hang out in your bakery. Except then i'd have to become a triathloner or something to combat the cupcake calories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always think of really funny jokes in my half sleep - but never remember them. Actually, I do every once in a while - and what do you know? They're not very funny. I think our half asleep minds have very low standards.

    Except when it comes to cupcakes. I think your bakery sounds fantastic. Make sure to open a chain here in Northern VA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. loved reading about the bakery plans. yum! i wrote a great post in my sleep last night. i also realized my fridge was broken. when i woke up i was bummed that i forgot my brilliant post, but i am grateful my food is still cold.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!