Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Adult Bento: Leftovers Never Looked So Good!

One night I ventured out with some girlfriends to a local favorite Indian Restaurant. Now when I go out for Indian food, I like to sample a variety. Although I have to admit, I could be quite content with a plate of Saag Paneer (spinach, spices, and homemade cheese), a basket of garlic naan all to myself, and a pot of chai. I'm easy to please. 

On this particular night, I ordered a chicken sampler plate. A sampler at the Jewel of India is a ton of food. If you look closely in the photo you will see there was no left over Saag to send in for lunch with my husband. But how lucky is my husband to have such a wonderful lunch?

My husband's bento was purchased in Japan. It's stainless steel, stackable with two compartments, the top has a moveable divider in it as well. Only downfall of stainless is that it can't be thrown into a microwave to heat it up. The option is to eat it as is or to place the contents to be heated up on a plate and then warmed. If you are looking for a stainless bento and can't find them in your area, I recently saw a latch Tiffin box at Cost Plus World Market. A Tiffin box is a stackable stainless lunch box that is typically round, which originates from India. We own a Tiffin that we bought a few years ago in Vermont. It would have been more appropriate for me to use that to pack these leftovers!

I actually added some extra decorations to the mix, a piece of the sushi style green grass, and a few food picks. Little touches make a bento special. Little red piggie was full of special hot sauce from the restaurant. For my hubby, the hotter the better. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks great! I love Indian food...just had some on Saturday and the Saag wasn't very good...I was so disappointed.

    I love that stainless steel but your right....you can't reheat it in the microwave.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!