Monday, October 19, 2009

Thanks Twitter, I Get It, I'm Just IttyBitty...

I've never quite felt so miniscule in the world of blogging until I became a member of Twitter. Daily I take in the 140 characters or less of others that are off at conferences, off being wooed by huge corporations, and maybe even being featured on television. Then there's an entire faction of bloggers that are their own biggest cheerleaders. Constantly they are linking back to their posts, they are heard. They roar. They thrive on the comments, the traffic, they ask to be Stumbled. It's all about the numbers. They are sharing searches and stats in 140 or less.

And me, I read the tweets. I sometimes click through, but generally I fade into the background. Occasionally I'll link to a post of my own, but it depends on my mood. October 8th was the last time I linked back to my blog, which was about 125 tweets ago. So I can honestly say a couple times a month I am my own cheerleader. I never really could relate to the pompoms and little skirts, the constant smile, perfect hair, and attention seeking of the real cheerleaders. If only I made the Freshman Squad back in 1987, maybe I would feel differently today. Instead I liked blending into the background, being a part of the crowd in the bleachers, I preferred skateboarders over football players anyway. Ironically enough my Twitter relationships reflect that as well, I'm probably not conversing with the Twitter Prom Queen most days of the week.

Now let me be the first to say, I am not judging any of those behaviors I mentioned. I am not on a soapbox calling out anyone. For some reason it just makes me feel itty bitty in the blogosphere. On those rare occasions I grasp how infinite the internet is, it blows my mind. But then again, I write what I want to write. I'm not the "ambulance chaser" of the blog world. We all know who they are, the first to hop on the hot topics, just so they get click-throughs. Their twitter follower count is big, their subscriber numbers are high, and in turn corporations love them. Oh and if you have "mom" in your username the corporations super duper love you. I find that odd. Have you noticed this or am I the only one?

Even more recently, I've come to discover sometimes bloggers twist the truth or even blatantly steal other people's words and use them as their own (hello, PLAGIARISM!). I assume this is in an attempt to bring a windfall of readers to their blog, maybe get twitter talking about them, or falsely lead their readers to believe their lives are more than what they truly are. Which made me realize, my life is so boring. Why don't I have this overwhelming desire to conquer this medium, do whatever it takes to top the numbers game? Am I complacent? Two years later and I'm still just happy doing my own thing. Writing on a whim, writing what's on my mind, and writing as a release. Oprah should have been calling ME by now.

So I shall conclude, with really no conclusions drawn in the matter at hand. I don't have a badge saying I'm authentic, I just have my words. If you meet me in real life, you will find that yes, these words are just like I speak. While I don't share everything about my life, I find no reason to not be authentic to my true self around here. This is my home. I feel grateful that someone other than my mother may stop by and read whatever is on my mind. I like this little place and I'm not going to let Twitter interfere and make me think being itty bitty is a bad thing. I'm fine just the way I am.

Now I'm off to Ft.Collins to find the Balloon Boy's family and have a blogger exclusive interview, stay tuned my press conference will air in just moments. I swear. I'll show you twitter.

14 comments:

  1. Ok Denise...I loved this blog, I feel the same way, but secretly am wishing for more traffic on my own sites. It is so funny how technology has changed our lives~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you for lots of reasons. Your authentic voice is one of the big ones. Thanks for being you.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you - well said. And yours is one blog that I've always remained subscribed to, though I don't always make good on my intentions to comment.

    I like what you've got going here. :) Now if you'd only let me move you to wordpress and redesign you.... teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog and your writing style and you should never change to be like anyone else who is 'louder' than you are on Twitter! Twitter can be totally intimidating sometimes, I think. Like, if I go on and there all these conversations going on, I feel left out... so sometimes I'll leave. It's an icky feeling. I often link up to my blog posts, though. I'm attention seaking that way! Comments make me sooo happy. Strange, but totally true. Anyway, the skaters were cooler than the football players, too. I like a variety of people. Makes like more interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eek... should have said 'life', not 'like'. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get this. I quit Twitter few months ago. I had a decent following and actually did converse with a few big names, but it was EATING MY BRAIN! I've been much less distracted since removing tweetdeck and I have no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I could never Twitter. What would I say that could be of any use to anyone. 'Just pegged out the clothes' 'Am watching 'loose women' 'Reading a book' My life is so dull and boring there is no way I am telling anyone...'cept you of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pimp my own posts. But a lot of times, it just because I have nothing better to tweet.

    I'm with you. I'm on the outside. However, the outside is okay. Fun even. There's lots of neat people out here. Sometimes cupcakes even. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved this! i don't twitter and i don't do anything to promote my blog. sometimes this makes me feel lame, but not always. i just don't want my blog to represent one more thing i'm doing a crappy job on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this auto-post thing on my blog that pushes my latest blog entry to Twitter, and that's about all I do on there. According to my stats, it gets me about 15 unique views each time I write a real post (not my daily gratitude lists). I occasionally make some pithy comment. I don't like Twitter. Otherwise it feels useless to me--like those chat rooms where no one will pay attention to you if you're not already in the "in" group.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear you. It would be fun to be "known" and make money on something that I enjoy so much - but there is so much work that goes into getting there... I just don't have the time - and I also don't think I have the talent for it. I see some real marketing genius at work out there in the blogosphere - and it's just not something that comes easily to me. So instead of getting frustrated or feeling those competitive twinges ("why is she so popular? I don't even think she's that great of a writer...") I try to focus on the connections that I HAVE made and tend my little site like my own personal garden. It may not attract crowds - but the people who do drop by seem to keep coming back.

    I like this "keeping it real" perspective you maintain. And I think the word "authentic" fits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm exploring this subject in my head because of my weekend in Vegas. It's given me a lot to think about.

    I love your voice!

    Good Luck with the Balloon Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Traffic is all well and good, but I think things probably get lost along the wayside. Sometimes, in gaining the numbers, I think you might lose the reason you started in the first place. I think your blog is perfect, just the way it is. I don't read too many "big name" blogs...I like the interaction on the smaller ones. Not to say the big ones are bad...they're just not my style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Roger everything you've written in this post. After realizing what a game it all is (a game I'm not very good at, btw), I became somewhat disillusioned by Twitter. Now, when I log in, I find myself just seeing what other people are tweeting without having anything of my own to add to the conversation. Perhaps I'm over it? (GASP!)

    Also, when I see how the big-time bloggers act in real life, I'm happy to simply interact with them online. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!