Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where Colorado Locals Go: Craving a Philly Cheese Steak? Olde Philly Towne

The first time I saw Olde Philly Towne from the outside, of course I quickly passed judgement. It sits in a strip mall, in between a scuba shop and the DMV. Close by are K-Mart and Hobby Lobby. While I don't assume a restaurant has to be in a free standing space to produce good food, of course the strip mall thing initially was a turn off. 

But that changed quickly. 

I grew up in Upstate New York, so sometimes I just have a craving for a cheese steak. Luckily I found Olde Philly Towne close by to feed that craving. Olde Philly Towne is always bustling with customers, which is a good sign. Yes, expect a wait. They offer a variety of "steaks", as well as cold sandwiches, and charburgers. But I'll be the first to admit, after having one of their Cheese Steaks I haven't even entertained the other items on their menu. 

Top of the of the Steaks menu is a Philly Grand Slam, thinly sliced rib-eye steak, grilled onions, mushrooms, peppers (hot, mild, or mixed), melted cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayonnaise. The rolls are always soft and fresh, they just seem to perfectly soak up the juices from the steak. I typically find myself craving the Chicken Slam, which is the same as above just simply made with skinless chicken breast instead. I have to be in the mood for steak, but when I am it's always a hit. 

Other options include the plain steak (steak, onions), cheese steak (just meat, onions, and melted cheese), or the pizza steak with marinara sauce. There's even more a meatball, italian sausage, or a chicken sandwich. Trust me, there's something for everyone. 

Typically we'll order some onion rings or zucchini sticks to accompany our cheese steaks. My daughters also devour their cheese steaks whenever they join us. Funny enough they have a kids menu, but it only includes hamburger, turkey, roast beef, ham & cheese, or corn dog. I'm thinking they need to add a steak to the kids menu?!

When you're sitting inside Olde Philly Towne, you'll hear the clacking of spatulas on the grill. Every employee has a station they are in charge of. I'm also always delighted by the mother/daughter team that keep the place rolling very smoothly. It's a local's favorite and if you are craving a cheese steak, give it a try. 

I've decided to start a weekend post about different restaurants in the area that I live, to help spread the word. I'm not paid by these establishments. Gosh, I always love a food recommendation and it's about time I start sharing where we choose to eat. You won't find us much at chain restaurants, we like to eat in the locally owned places. The authentic places. The places you can't wait to visit again. 


  1. That sounds really yummy...of course, anything does after the Texas State Fair fried food extravaganza.

  2. I love this idea about showing what your town has to offer!
    That place sounds very yummy :)

  3. Might I suggest that if you're going to tout a local establishment, you provide an address (or at least major cross streets) or link to their web site (if they have one).

  4. I remember this place. Now, I wish we would have tried. Sounds delicious.

  5. I would totally suffer the consequences of eating a wheat roll for a sandwich this good. I lurve cheese steaks. Mmmm...


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!