Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Circa 1979: Once A Yankee Fan, Always a Yankee Fan

The year was 1979. Gosh and to think, some of you weren't even born yet. It wasn't a memorable year for the Yankees, from what online stats tell me they finished fourth in the American League. But looking back at the roster, the names are forever imprinted in my mind. 

Graig Nettles, Willie Randolph

Bucky Dent, Lou Pinella, Reggie Jackson

It was the also year Thurmon Munson, the Yankees catcher, died in a small plane crash. 

Growing up in New York with three older brothers, I knew the time would come when I would don the Yankees Uniform. Oh how I waited in anticipation to put on the pin stripes. As you can see from my stick figure, I am sure that uniform would have still fit me well into the mid-80's. Looking back on the photo, my hair isn't too different today, I just have to pay for that color now. 

My father is "the" Yankee fan of the family, with of course my brothers following in his footsteps. If there was a soundtrack to my life, I swear it would have a Yankees' baseball game being broadcast in the background. When the Yankees weren't playing, we were watching my brothers play baseball at the local Babe Ruth Fields. Summer after summer, I spent many days sitting in the back of my father's Pontiac Station wagon watching them play. I'd always be begging my mother for spare change to buy a baseball shaped gum ball or a freezer pop when the New York humidity would get to me. Baseball was the essence of my childhood. 

I will be the first to admit, I rarely watch a regular season game. Occasionally I'll flip through and watch an inning or two, but the games are so darn long. I just don't have the patience or time to watch 81 regular season games. Or however many there are, which I know is a lot. But in my heart I'll always be a Yankee fan. Once a Yankee fan, always a Yankee fan in my book. 

As for the Colorado Rockies, it's fun to go to a game every season. I love taking the girls, sitting down watching a game, eating all the food that comes along with the tradition of a live game. But i'll always wish the Yankees played just twenty minutes from my home. 

As for tonight's game, well I can only hope the Yankees wrap up the series. I'll be rooting for the Yankees of course. The pinstripes may be gone, but the feeling never really leaves. 

Related post, my year playing t-ball in a boy's league: Odd Girl Out



4 comments:

  1. adorable picture!

    my husband grew up in norway (dad worked overseas). his little league team was the yankees and he's been a rabid fan ever since! i love fans who have been in it for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that year. That was the year my older brother made me memorize every player on the Yankees. He drilled me every day that summer. I remember saying "Thermus Munster"...and he'd say no no no!

    I live in Boston now, and let me tell you, it is not easy being a Yankee fan in Red Sox territory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that photo when you posted it on twitter the other day...it was just the other day wasn't it.

    What a great memory of your childhood. We didn't have baseball shaped gum at our snack shack...we had Big League Chew...I loved that stuff, as did the other players on our team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this picture!!

    I wish I had memories of sports like that.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!