Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween, So Many Teachable Moments!

Last night under the glow of the full moon, we set out Trick or Treating. I'd have to put myself in the fan of Halloween category. People really go either way with this holiday, but to be quite honest I think it's fun. As we went from house to house, I had a realization about the importance of Halloween in my neighborhood in particular, as we have many senior citizens living close by. It was really an opportunity for them to feel like a part of the community as a whole, not just looking at the world from behind their blinds. We took an extra moment or two to converse with many neighbors that live just a few blocks away, that live all by themselves. I could see by the smiles on their faces how delighted Halloween made them. 

Even though we aren't much into junk food in my house, we certainly do love chocolate. Many nights after dinner, we all share a square of dark chocolate as our post-dinner dessert, if I haven't baked anything. 

Last night, after arriving home from Trick or Treating, Sj dumped out her bag full of loot! She's always loved to line up all of her candy and sort them into piles. This year I took the sorting one step further. We placed all the candy into groups and then she recorded the number and type of candy in her math journal. We then turned all the data into a graph! 

It was fun to see how many types of candy she received with a total of 152 pieces! 

I'd just like to end with, if you aren't that into Halloween, think about the moment. The moment to reach out to others that you may never have the opportunity to meet. A person that may just live a few blocks away, but spends the majority of their time alone. Think about how happy they are when they see our children's smiling and excited faces. How a simple conversation may just be the highlight of their week! 

11 comments:

  1. One of the things I loved about taking our boys trick or treating last night (for the first time) was the number of people on our street that we were able to meet and have a chat with for the first time since we moved here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat idea--I would have never thought of that. I just want the stuff out of my house ASAP :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to look at it. I never really thought of it that way. :)
    And those Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are for me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree. last night we were able to meet some neighbors and walk with them to a few houses. we'd lived near them for 4 years and had never met!

    then our kids ditched us and we went home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, funny! Skye had to do that very graph for homework tonight!!! Must be nice to have older folks in the neighborhood!!We definitely don't get that around here. Keri

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy Buckets! That's a lot of candy!!

    Our older neighbors don't give out candy on halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too enjoy the neighborhood bonding at halloween. Most days of the year its just a rushed wave or a how do you do? But with everyone out and with the weather so perfect for trick or treat this year, I got to catch up with lots of neighbors that I don't normally get to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sorting...makes it look prettier. I'm a non-fan of Halloween, but I do enjoy the candy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lot of candy. We had lots from our five kids trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great teachable moments! I love these ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!