Monday, November 30, 2009

The Whirlwind Weekend: Girlfriends, Pedicures, Vampires, and Lunch

The weekend has finally ended. I have to admit, we need more Thursday holidays that are steeped in food traditions and gathering to be thankful. I vote for a quarterly Thanksgiving to keep us all grounded. Really to me the weekend was just epic. I started early in the week with some tea and conversation with a girlfriend in the evening. Sometimes it's nice to slip out of the house and have conversation at a coffee shop. We opted out of the meet for a drink because that's just our personality, we needed to vent, we needed warm drinks to fill us up. The chatting overflowed. Oh and there may have been a peppermint brownie involved. I was also fortunate enough to drag a friend along grocery shopping with me, Wednesday evening. Yes, the night before Thanksgiving someone was dear enough to join me at Whole Foods. Talk about that's what friends are for. She's a keeper.

After a wonderful low key Thanksgiving Day with my family, I snuck off with a girlfriend to see New Moon on Black Friday. You don't need my review, although I will tell you I really enjoyed it. It inspired me to actually finish book three and four. Which I am not abandoning like I did New Moon, I'm hooked. Did I just say that? Believe it or not, if the movie and tea weren't enough my weekend of reconnecting was not over!

Saturday afternoon, after my husband returned from a 45 mile bicycle adventure, I went off on my own adventure. Pedicure time. Picked up a friend and hit the foot spa! Although I am not to sure about paying for pedicures in the winter. I have this instinct to show my toes and with cold weather, that's not happening. So now, I'm not wearing socks or slippers around the house and my feet are cold. But my toes are pretty. My pedicure was topped off with a dinner with friends. Good food and laughs, our doggies all playing together just topped off the great weekend.

Believe it or not with all the socializing and going out I had all week, which was more than the last three months combined, I had plans on Sunday. ME?!? A lunch date with the most fabulous group of coworkers a woman could ever ask for. Seven of us, all met for lunch. It had been years since I had seen a few of the women, a few months for most of them. We all taught together about eight years ago and have kept in touch after all of us going our own ways. Out of the seven of us, not one of us still remains at the original school that all brought us together. It's hard to capture the feeling of being with old friends that you spent your work day with. They know you in a different way, they see the professional in me, but also the caring teacher, the tired teacher, the good and the bad. Now we have children and just can't believe where the time goes. Here we are, all eyes open, no! Lots of laughs trying, YES!

To top off this weekend, I stayed up until the wee hours working on presents from a photo website. Now, I need some tooth picks to keep my eyes open, the lack of sleep is definitely catching up with me.

To all my friends that graced me this past week, thank you. You all have an incredible way of warming my heart and keeping me grounded in life. To those that I didn't see because of travel or other plans, next weekend is open ;-)...I'm always here.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind a quarterly Thanksgiving. :) Sounds like you really had a lot of fun this weekend. It's always great to see old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great friend and I am glad that you were able to reconnect with so many over the holiday. Next time I am having the brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the need for more food and thanks-centered holidays. I just read an essay in the New Yorker, and the writer has hosted Thanksgiving dinners in the summer or spring. I thought it was a lovely idea - a chance to eat good food, be with friends, and reminder to be thankful a little more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun week...sorry I didn't make it up your way.

    We skipped out of town early...by Friday I was longing for home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so nice to catch up with new and old friends. Pedicure sounds AWESOME and well deserved. I like how you're living lately. Wish I was there to go out and have tea too, definitely more my style. But, just think in a month, afternoon tea in London. Oh yea... - Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a good time and were able to catch up with some friends. I have the books if you want them!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!