Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's My Birthday & I Request A Do-Over...

Saturday I hosted a party, unlike any other party I've ever hosted. Details will be coming soon on my little gathering, trust met it deserves it's own post. I had a wonderful time. I laughed, smiled, and felt overjoyed to be able to hang out with my girlfriends, that have never gathered in one location together. This gathering made me grateful to have so many caring and generous women in my life.

There was even a surprise birthday cake for me, it tasted even better than it looked:
After my gathering and the girls went to sleep, I plopped on the couch and watched a little television. I kept my eye on the clock. It was getting later and later, but I had to make it to the toy store before closing. After some mental coaxing, I made myself presentable and headed out to the toy store. Truly it was the last place I wanted to be, but I needed to get in on the last day of sales they were offering. The toy store was worse than I anticipated, dirty, crushed toys in their boxes, some out of boxes, trash everywhere, abandoned full carts, crying children, and zombified parents. I kept telling myself in and out, easy peasy.

Good news is, I acquired the items I set out for. Bad news is, I started to feel a bit gassy while shopping. By the time I got home, I had a full blown stomach ache. I got over my disdain for antacid tabs and took two. I drank water. I moaned like a big baby. The gas, pressure, and uneasy feeling was getting worse. Sparing you the details, by 1am I was getting physically sick. I probably didn't get comfortable enough to get to sleep until 2:30am.

Morning arrived faster than I expected. Sigh. J let me sleep in, I think I finally opened my eyes at 9:15! Woo hoo... My stomach ache was gone, but I felt like I had been through the ringer. The big plans for the day, which included a trip to Denver to a restaurant I've been wanting to eat at for years, was postponed. I couldn't bring myself to leave the house, no less go out to eat. Eww, eww, eww.

But it's my Birthday!

So instead, I spent the day being a sloth. I was either on the couch lounging or in bed. My husband was absolutely caring and met my requests. I wanted the laptop in my bedroom, so he gathered up the modem and made it happen. I was able to get through my reader, yeah! I even had some uninterrupted time to read Nie Nie's feature called Climbing Back. Her story made me feel hope and grateful, especially on my birthday which is a wonderful time to reflect on life.

J was disappointed he didn't get to make the lavish breakfast he had shopped in advance for. Instead, I had a glass of water on our bamboo food tray, served appropriately enough in bed. Although I am happy to report, he did get to cook me risotto, which is one of the meals I love for him to prepare. By the time dinner rolled around, risotto was a perfect meal. I gobbled up dinner, having eaten just a few slices of bread all day.

No cake for me.

But it's my Birthday!

Now, I'm laying here thinking, I can request a do-over, it's my Birthday! I want the breakfast in bed, the cake made by J and the girls. I want to do our traditional drive around town to see the houses decorated in Christmas lights, sipping a cup of hot chai. I definitely want the rain check for lunch in Denver. Next Sunday has do-over written all over it.

9 comments:

  1. No do-over necessary - aren't birthdays supposed to last at least a week??

    Popping in to say hello.... I no longer remember where I first found you, but I love to check in now and again. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I think the do-over is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I think the do over should include going out for some tea as well! Keri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a bummer to be sick on your birthday! I hope you get your do-over! Sorry to miss the Wii Fit party, it sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Do-over is a great idea!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer you were sick! Thank goodness it didn't last longer than a day! Yes, definite do over! Have fun :)- MH

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt so bad you were sick after such a great day the day before. I am sure you will have time this weekend for a partial do over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated birthday! I hope you got your do-over!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!