Thursday, December 3, 2009

Returning Home, Fingers Crossed...

Finally, it's happening. My husband and I are taking our girls back to upstate New York to visit our families. Our youngest who is about to celebrate her third birthday has never made the trip back. The last time I was upstate she was in my belly. Incredible how the time flies.

Quite honestly during the winter is not my ideal time to visit New York. Summer is my ideal time, but this summer the airplane tickets were astronomical. Like so expensive that I could fly to Europe for cheaper. Random airlines, downturn in economy, jack up prices? We kept our search up, trying to work school schedules and my husband's work schedule, the stars aligned and we found decently priced tickets. Hooray!

We're already planning what we are going to do. We've got catching up to do. Three years is a long time and to think my daughter hasn't met the majority of our family, that's the hard part of living 1,800 miles away. I feel grateful that my parents come to visit about three times a year, so we won't be starting anew with everyone. It gets complicated like most families, but I just want it to be for them. I told J, this trip is for our girls. For them to see and know our childhood homes, have sleepovers with their cousins, make pizza in Nana's kitchen, get an ice cream sundae at Friendly's, and allow their grandparents to just enjoy the time of being with them. I envision book reading, game nights, movie time, lots of hugs, bouncing on laps, and tons of giggles. There will be big meals, running around, and a trip to Bella Napoli (Italian Bakery). J and I will even slip away for a night to New York City. We need it more than you can imagine. I know the time will fly by.

Fingers crossed we have mild weather for flying. Fingers crossed we have huge embraces and the time that has passed with our family will just seem like months ago, rather than years. Fingers crossed we can all remember that even though we are far apart for the majority of the year, we all love one another and can celebrate the precious time we have together. Fingers crossed it won't be another three years until we make it back. Fingers crossed our daughters will just melt their hearts and they'll decide they want to come spend more time with us in Colorado.

Fingers crossed...

12 comments:

  1. My finger's are crossed for you friend!

    Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fingers crossed for you! It's been nice and mild so far this winter in New England.
    I went to school in upstate NY, where is snowed from Oct-May ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for a safe, inspiring, delightful trip for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed, legs crossed, arms crossed, eyes crossed, and tongue twisted!! ;) I know you will have a fabulous time with your family. And I KNOW you will have an AMAZING time with your honey in fabulous NYC. Don't worry about what can or might happen, just go with the flow and savor the moment when you're there. :)-Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that is so exciting. YAY for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My fingers are crossed for you! I hope you have a safe and happy trip with lots of fun and lots of new memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe trip! Sound lovely, we have no snow here in the Upstate area as of yet, hopefully we will for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so excited to see your comment earlier that you were doing this! I know how much you have wanted to take a trip back, it should be so beautiful! I cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll have a wonderful time. I didn't know you were talking about upstate New York. I dated a guy for five years from Rochester. It's so pretty up there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you'll have a wonderful time and i am sure the girls will have a wonderful time

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful trip. I hope your daughters find lots of fans in the East.

    From another Colorado Mama Blogger,
    Rachel @ 6512 and growing.(growing children at 6512 feet)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, that just sounds wonderful... I hope that the time goes by slowly so that you may enjoy your family fully.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!