Thursday, March 25, 2010

But I Thought We'd Be His Forever Home...

Well this week has turned out to be a bit more emotional than I anticipated. There are things I'd like to talk about and other things I don't feel quite like discussing. Long story short, I found out this week that one of my daughters is allergic to cats and dogs.

When we were sitting in the Doctor's office during the allergy test, the dog test lit up like a light bulb as soon as it was placed on her skin. I believe my eyes instantly welled with tears. I've been worried she had a dog allergy from the first time hives appeared on her face when our first dog Guinness innocently licked her years ago. I asked our Doctor about it and she brushed it off, no big deal. I told myself she has sensitive skin, hence the hives. No hives mean a reaction, an allergic reaction. I feel stupid for kidding myself.

Then this past summer, after 4 years of not owning a dog, we stopped by the Humane Society. We found a wonderful dog, ironically enough 4 years to the day after our first black lab passed away. It was fate. He's so sweet and kind. He instantly took to our girls, going a few times a night into their room to check on them sleeping. He waits patiently by the door when we get home. He lets the girls rough house with him, with only sweet licks in return.

But now we have to give him up.

My daughter's health is our first priority and unfortunately the symptoms that have been stressing her body aren't quite worth "Fido" remaining in our house. So now i've turned to friends to spread the word, help us find a new home for our pal. I haven't quite figured out how I am going to tell the girls their favorite doggie is moving on to live with someone else. I don't want my daughter to feel guilty that he needs to find a new home. My stomach is in a pit and I tear up when our sweet dog comes up to me looking for some affection. I feel like I've betrayed our rescue.

I do know it's our responsibility to find him a loving forever home. A home I always thought that we would give him. Now if I can only find the right things to say and one kick ass family to love him for the rest of his life.

If you are in the denver/boulder area and know of someone looking for a wonderful doggie to complete their family, please send them my way. I'd love to talk to them.


  1. Oh I am so sorry! This must be so hard on all of you.

  2. i've been asking everyone i know. fingers crossed.

  3. Last month, Aaron's mom tried to prove he was allergic to my dog. He's not, but before we got the results I kept thinking of all the awful repercussions. My heart hurts for you.

  4. Oh Denise I am so sorry for you and your family. I pray pray pray that our next child loves our black lab and there are no allergies....if I lived near you at all I would totally try to convince my husband to adopt your pup. Best of luck finding him a forever home.

    We adopted our black lab through a lab-adoption agency - I have an ad for them at the bottom of my screen. If you don't find yours a home, click on that link, and if you click through it you should be able to find their national organization - I hope they have a chapter near you.

  5. sniffle. I'll get the word out. Don't beat yourself up with mommy guilt. hugs my friend.

  6. i know a wonderful family who live in your area and i have written them to see if they would like a new dog. (they put there dog to sleep last year after 10 years). they just had a new baby a few months ago so they maybe ready. if they are how do connect you two?
    my email address is

  7. Awww. I am so sorry. That is so hard. :(
    I wish I knew someone in your area.

  8. It is so hard to let go of a dog. Sigh...

  9. Hi Denise,
    That is terribly sad. I'm so sorry. He seems like a lovely pooch- I'm sure that you will find somebody that will love and take care of him.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!