Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tuesday Tips: Easy and Simple Gluten Free Breaded Chicken!

Although my intention is always to plan a menu, grocery shop, and be prepared for dinner all week, that doesn't always happen. Somedays I look in the refrigerator at 4:45 and wonder what am I going to whip up?

Yesterday, I thought I'll make some breaded chicken, fast and easy. Only problem, I was out of bread crumbs. Which means I had a few choices, to find an alternative or order take out. I opted to make it work and cook at home, I just had to get creative. Now while it is possible to toast some bread and stick it in the food processor that aspect felt a bit daunting for weeknight dinner preparation. Instead I ground up some Gluten Free Multigrain chips that were in my pantry to use as the "breading" instead. While we aren't a gluten free home, I did want to share the tip!


Step 1: Process **chips in food processor until it resembles coarse corn meal, bread crumb texture, place in shallow bowl for breading step.
Step 2: Slice up chicken breast to portions that your family prefers. I tend to go skinny for faster cooking and cut chicken into strips.
Step 3: Place chicken into a ziploc bag with flour (rice flour if you are GF).
Step 4: Dip chicken into a shallow bowl with whisked eggs, I also add parsley at this step.
Step 5: Dip chicken into multigrain chip "crumbs" for breading step.
Step 6: Cook in skillet over medium heat (I use 6 on my electric burner). I use about 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of canola oil to cook the entire batch of 1lb of chicken in, as you will see in the photo, I don't "deep fry" my chicken. It's really just enough to get the job done. Extra flavor, throw in some whole garlic cloves that have been gently crushed into the oil.
Step 7: Remove onto plate with a paper towel to catch any excess oil.

*Baking alternative, bread all chicken, place on a baking sheet or a raised broiler type pan. Lightly brush with olive oil to help crisp up surface. Bake at 400 degrees until the chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 170 degrees and becomes crisp.

This is what dinner looked like, served to my girls. Cantaloupe, strawberries, corn, peas, and carrot sticks to accompany their gluten free chicken!

** Some of you asked what chips I used. Food Should Taste Good are the brand of chips I used to bread the chicken. I purchased them at costco, they are a nice flavor and texture, kind of cracker meets chip. This is not a product endorsement or inclusion by the company.

3 comments:

  1. One of the few meals my kids LOVE is a simple breaded baked chicken. I mix up bread crumbs and olive oil, coat the chicken in the mixture and bake at high heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job using what you have! I never had bread crumbs...so I always have to come up with something else.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!