Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Food Revolution: Walking The WALK

This weekend I was able to sit down and watch the final episode of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Quite honestly I was brought to tears out of shock, outrage, and sadness for the general state of how we feed our children. There was a backlash by parents of the elementary aged children against the new improved lunch system Jamie instituted. Instead of having their students eat the new healthy options at school, they started sending in brown bag lunches full of crap. Absolute garbage. One little girl had two bags of chips, a baggie of skittles, and a juice box as her lunch!!! Most of the kids didn't even have a sandwich in their lunch, it was Lunchables full of chemicals and processed ingredients and to top it off, blue jello on the side.

I was appalled.

Honestly, when I run out of a basic essential in my pantry like, all fruit jelly I do the best I can. I use real strawberries instead: When I cook too much veggie pasta the night before, I throw it in a bento for my daughter to eat for lunch. Some organic baby carrots, sliced up grapes, and it's good to go. It doesn't take more than five minutes to pack this bento. Show your kids you love them, nourish them, feed them fresh foods. Keep in mind their lunch should contain a variety of nature's colors (not blue jello). We all try hard to keep our kids healthy and I am proud to admit I not only talk the talk, I definitely walk the walk.

Have you signed the Jamie's petition yet, click here and take a minute, make a difference in the lives of American School Children.


  1. My husband just brought bento boxes home from Japan. I love to see yours and know that it doesn't have to be fancy, cute food, just reasonable portions of lots of healthy things. (Although today I did send peanut butter on whole wheat cut into star shapes.)

    Love it!

  2. I haven't seen the last three episodes yet, and now I'm intrigued. Hm. I'd rather sever an arm than send in Lunchables, or blue jello. Hm.

  3. I'm trying to walk the walk too! When my kids will be at school for lunch, you better believe I'm sending them there with real food. At home, a typical lunch is a sandwich, a piece of fruit and maybe some yogurt pretzels. They drink less than 6 oz of juice a day, we're milk & water drinkers here.

    Food Revolution was a great show, and I hope all kids can get access to healthy food at school.

  4. I appreciate and agree with what you have to say; however, I worry that we overlook a critical issue that colors this conversation..and that is the economics of food. Let's face it, fresh strawberries from Whole Foods cost more than a bag of skittles (in the short term.) In the U.S. There are two kinds of food supplies, food for people who can afford fresh foods, homemade foods, whole ingredients and people who cannot afford organic baby carrots but can afford a Totino's Pizza. We should be more appalled that this economic disparity exists in terms of our food system; and work to find ways to offer both healthy and affordable food to all Americans.

  5. Anon- wish I could email you, but I will hope you take a look back at the comments.

    I paid $4.99 for 4 POUNDS of strawberries at costco. $1.25 a pound is cheaper than skittles. I know that is the general fall back, I've got $10 to spend on my family I better buy McDonalds, I can't feed them fresh foods for cheaper. In reality processed foods are not cheaper, especially when it comes to looking at long term health consequences.

    Seeking out produce sales, shopping at wholesale clubs are just a few ways to put fresh foods on your plate. I believe a bag of conventional baby carrots are .99 a bag. I don't pay more than 1.99lb for grapes. Box of pasta for dinner, plus left overs $1.25.

    That lunch above cost about $1.50 to me, if that.

    I choose to shop at whole foods and costco, but it comes at a price. I put priority on fresh food in our budget and sacrifice many other things, such as movies out, dining out, haircuts, etc. I would rather nourish my family than have those things, but it is my priority.

  6. Costco is the way to go for sure, once you stock up there WF isn't too expensive. I like the part in Food INC where the farmer laments the idea that people will pay $1.25 for some chemical water (soda) but throw a fit about $3.50 for 12 organic eggs.

  7. The long term effects that processed foods have on the body are far worse than investing in good/quality food. I would rather invest in the quality of health in my family, then have to worry about my children with diabetes, ADHD, or any other problems. It is so, so worth it and health should be a priority. I loved and thoroughly enjoyed Food Revolution. I can't wait to see more of Jamie. - Melissa


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!