Monday, May 24, 2010

Harmony Has Returned Post Yard Sale

For some odd reason my dining room became the staging ground for my yard sale. I wrote a post about my brilliant idea to host a yard sale. About a week ago, I transformed our space to eat into this:

Oh into the wee hours of the morning on either Thursday or Friday, this is what I was doing. Sorting, matching, assessing, pricing, piling, and purging. If anything was stained, had holes in it, or was missing a mate it went into the fabric recycling pile. Our local recycling center has a bin for discarded clothing that can't be reused, it's repurposed. For what, I'm not exactly sure?! I may have to look into that.
I must admit, the last week was a lot of work. I'm not one of those just throw everything out in a heap yard sale hosts, I like order. All toys were properly mated and placed in ziploc bags. All pajamas were paper clipped together and placed on the pajama pile. There were sections for toys, household items, linens, stuffed animals were housed in a kiddie pool, furniture at the end of the driveway, women's clothing, men's clothing, children's clothing of course all sorted by shirts, sweaters, pajamas, jackets, dresses, skirts. I still have visions of the woman that showed up in her pajama bottoms, a tank top, and slippers haphazardly throwing the clothing she looked at. I just wanted to kindly say, those are sorted neatly and I'd like it to stay that way. I'm joking, well kind of.

Funny enough we didn't take one photo of the actual sale. How can that be? We were distracted tallying sales, collecting money, and helping people load our stuff into their cars and trucks! Good riddance stuff, I don't miss you one bit. The sale was a smashing success, we exceeded our goal by a few hundred dollars. All left over items were taken promptly on Saturday afternoon to the thrift store as donations. Three truckloads of donations.

Best part of the weekend, my dining room now looks like this:
My closets, my garage, my shed, and my home in general just feel lighter. The purging was a success. I love spring. Would I do it again, in a heartbeat.

3 comments:

  1. We've been doing the purging but not the selling. I just don't have the time or energy to have a sale right now. But trucking stuff to Goodwill, sign me up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo!!! Keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a weight of your shoulders!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!