Monday, June 21, 2010

Running, Walking, Sprinting...

It seems as if I've been down this road before. Fitness, working out, running, exercising. I'm not exactly sure where the change occurs, but at some point there's defeat and I just stop working out. I almost feel like someone in recovery, telling myself this time will be different. Take each day as it comes and before I know it, maybe six months or a year will pass and I will have stayed with it. Whenever I update on twitter about running, I always add the hashtag, #trying. Really that's all I can do is try. I must add, I am certainly trying. I've gone from couch to running in just a few short weeks.

I joined a website called Daily Mile. It's a place to share your daily workouts and get inspiration from others. I've made a few friends there (that I know around the web and in real life) and they definitely inspire me. I'm always in awe of people's running times, for I am a very slow runner. I would love to go out for a casual five mile jog and run 9 minute miles. Someday. If you want to be friends, you can search eatplaylove or just click here. This is what the tracking looks like, my training the last four weeks (includes running, walking, hiking, and cycling):

At the end of May when I first started running, it also included plenty of walking. I would pick a set distance and challenge myself to run it. I would then pick the next set distance and walk it, knowing when I arrived at my mental marker I would have to pick up the pace again. Over the last few weeks the walking has decreased and the running has increased. Yesterday I had one of my strongest days running, with very little walking. I decided to run the same loop over and over until I can go from running/walking to running the entire way. I am about 95% to my goal.

I've logged 60 miles in just the past month, 11 hours and 27 minutes! Holy Moly! This is from me, a woman that balked at the notion of being a runner. There are definitely days I don't feel like going. Take tonight for instance, I fell asleep for like 15 minutes at 7:15 when J had the girls out on a bike ride, but I put on my shoes and headed out when I woke up. I know it's cliche to say this, but I truly tell myself, "just do it". No excuses, no defeat, just try. If I walk more, it's okay. If I feel strong and want to push myself that's okay as well.

The best part about running is that I'm learning a lot about myself. Stay tuned for a Thursday 13 post, highlighting the lessons I've learned so far.


  1. By this time last year...I'd been running for a month. The temps have been so cool here that I just didn't get started.

    I'm so proud of you and your progress! Great job!

  2. Yes! Running continues to teach me things about myself...and even when everything else is crazy, running is the one stress-reliever that I keep coming back to. It helps me to clear my head, get out of a funk and remember what's important.

    Now sprinting I still hate, but with CrossFit, I've done more sprinting than ever before. And as much as I hate to admit it, sprinting has really helped to make me a stronger runner. If only it didn't suck so much...

    I look forward to your post about the lessons you've learned from running. Keep up the good work! And if you should feel inspired, I'm doing the Aspen half-marathon in September and think they also have a 10k version. You should join!

    (checking out DailyMile now)

  3. I also am a very slow runner. And it sounds like we might be at about the same point in our training (in terms of getting in less and less walking to more and more running.) This sounds like a great tool, I think I'm totally going to sign up! Thanks for pointing it out.

    And good luck with your training goals!


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!