Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sisterly Love...

Every day for months, I've had glimpses of moments which have inspired this post. I hate to say I write with hesitation fearing that my acknowledgement may somehow throw off the balance and harmony in my home. But I'm writing anyway because I feel like it's time to celebrate what I see daily. So what in the world am I eluding to?

My daughters get along.

From the day GL entered this world over three and a half years ago, one of the first questions people would ask was how is Sj adjusting? Is she having tantrums, is she acting out, has her schedule been affected, does she show affection to her baby sister? Honestly, from day one the adjustment to being a big sister was no big deal. I waited for the acting out or tantrums, but they just didn't happen. Sj embraced her sister and played a huge role in my transition to mothering two girls.

Fast forward to three years later.

During the school year as soon as we arrived home, the girls would just spend the time before dinner playing together and very happy to see one another. Sj reaches the bowls in the upper cabinet and pours snack for both of them. They'll sit and draw or paint, create little worlds with their stuffed animals, get dressed up and invent dance routines. Some of my favorite moments are when Sj decides to read to her sister instead of reading silently to herself.

Now don't get me wrong, there are moments when a tone of voice is indicative of a meltdown or when one of the girls reaches for something the other is playing with. But for the most part, I'd say a solid 95% of the time, my girls truly enjoy each other's company. To be quite honest, there's no joy like witnessing sisterly love.


  1. That is soooo sweet!

    Bobbi and I are 5 years apart and for a good part of our was too much time. But now...we are very close. I love her so.

  2. Awesome! Even as an adult, and more so now than ever, my sister is truly my best friend. I'm so glad they are bonding now - it will last them a lifetime, and can be a lifesaver too. :)

  3. This is lovely. My sister and I fought like cats and dogs growing up, but always loved each other and we're now best buddies. I feel (occasionally) sad that my daughter won't have a sister. Your two are blessed!

  4. This is so precious. And I'm sure it will continue into their teen/adult years. Awwww, they are so sweet. - Melissa

  5. I hear ya. As crazy as the boys make me, I am so blessed that they are best friends. Nothing in the world like watching it.


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!