Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tuesday Tips: Fast and Free Way To Watermark Photos With Picnik (and other fun easy photo editing)

Have you ever clicked onto a blog post and found the author using a photo you took? Photos get picked up by google images, people search on a subject, and simply (borrow) a photo many times with out ever giving credit to the owner of the image.

An easy way to avoid that is to watermark your photo. Some people may pass on using a watermarked image, but at very least you are still being given credit where credit is due. I always try to link back to where I found an image, unless it's one of those silly photo memes where I just do a general google image link back.

If you aren't into photo editing, I have a very simple way to watermark a photo. I use Picnik. I use the premium version of Picnik (1 month, 3 month, or yearly subscription), but the majority of Picnik features are free. How I watermark this photo, is free.

Upload an image to Picnik (click on any photo to enlarge):

Click on the CREATE Tab:

Click on TEXT, add text to the text box, upper left corner, click on a font of choice:

Click and drag text to the place in the photo you want watermark. Then you can change the color of the text (default is white) in the text palette.

Important step: In text palette there is an "Advanced Blend Mode" drop down menu, click on OVERLAY. That makes the text blend into photo, even gradient for values of photo.

I chose to keep my watermark in the lower right corner of this photo. When I do bento photos, I prefer the center so people can't crop out my watermark.

Click on save and share, has options to resize at this point as well. You can share to friends on FB, twitter, Flickr as well with one easy click!

For FUN! After adding watermark, I click back on CREATE tab. Then Effects, I chose "Cross Process" which gives the photo a really fun feel. Under CREATE there is also a frame tab, so I turn it into a polaroid. Then I add some more text, a butterfly in stickers, and voile! A really fun easy photo!

Enjoy Picniking! The possibilities are endless!

Disclosure: I have been a fan of Picnik's since I made my first blog header for free back in August of 07! All follow up blog headers have been made in Picnik as well. In the spring, I was offered a free trial membership to check out premium features. I was not asked to post about my experience, I just felt the need to teach an easy way to watermark.


  1. Sounds very cool - I really need to start watermarking my photos too.... Thanks for sharing this great tip!

  2. I love picnik! I did a giveaway for a premium membership last month. I just paid for it myself, that's how much I love picnik and I want other people to love it too!!!

    Great tips. Thanks for sharing.

  3. Thank you! I really need to learn how to do this. I'll give it a try! Great blog BTW.

    Warmly, Michelle


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!