Thursday, October 7, 2010

I Think You're The Most Beautiful Girl In The Whole World...

Today I sat in on a classroom birthday celebration for Sj. They have a very special ritual where the birthday child walks around the sun for each year of their life. The sun is a candle, placed on a orange wooden cut out, with twelve rays representing each month of the year. All of the students sing a song counting up the numbers for each year as she circled the sun. After each year the birthday child tells a short story about that year of their life. I first told the story of her birth (the very edited quick and painless version), years one and two. She filled in the rest.

After the traveling around the sun ceremony we passed out a fruit snack to her classmates. Then Sj's teacher asked each student to give her a compliment. I was a part of the circle, so I sat and listened to the students go in order. Lots of girls said you're a great friend, the boys said she was awesome with cheddar cheese on top, many of them were very grateful for their fruit snack. The compliments began to just fade into one another and the students some what distracted by their treat.

Until we came to one boy in her class.

He paused for a moment, took a deep breath, and looked Sj straight in the eyes. This young 7 year old boy then said, "I think you're the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world." Right there in front of the entire class, with a sincerity beyond my belief. I felt the, I don't care what you think I'm speaking my mind energy, come rushing from him.

Then my eyes proceeded to well up. I was floored as I experienced one of those moments in my daughter's life that I am sure she won't forget for years, if ever. There's no greater gift I've been given than to experience the bountiful richness that I call motherhood. Sweet blessings all around.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! What a beautiful story. How lucky your daughter is to have such a great and imaginative teacher, and what a brave little boy to say exactly what he was thinking. Happy Birthday to you (beautiful) little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that is such a sweet story. I want to give that little boy a hug for being so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great story - what a fun way to ring in a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to hug that little boy and buy his mom a drink. Wow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet boy!

    Happy Birthday again to Sj.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful and thoughtful story....I am so inspired, on so many levels.

    Happy birthday SJ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That almost made me cry, D. Sooooo sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gentleman!! I bet it warmed Sj's heart just as much as yours. :)- Melissa

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!