Sunday, January 9, 2011

A little snow falling, I picked up a paintbrush, and let go...


This morning I awoke to snow falling. I knew straight off after looking out the window most of the day would be spent inside, so I asked the girls if they would like to paint. I decided to set up a small still life near their easel with some fruit, a few vegetables, and a tea pot. The still life was an attempt to help focus them when they painted. Sometimes painting becomes more of an exercise of how messy can I get or how brown can I turn all the paint. I am hoping to evolve their exploration into something a bit more refined now that they are getting older.

Right as I placed the tea pot down, a simple thought popped into my head. I should join them painting.

I sat on the floor, the still life off in the distance for my inspiration. I wanted to paint in watercolor, but I couldn't find any watercolor paper. I was able to easily get my hands on a blank canvas, so I just went for it, watercolor on canvas. I bit nontraditional and even temperamental, but this wasn't a commissioned piece, it was simply for me. There was no pressure, dipping my toes back in the painter's water. Curiosity got the best of me, contemplating how the paintbrush would feel again in my hand or if my eye could still capture the light, the shadows, the inspiration on canvas.

After I passed the point of hesitation and allowed the paint to flow onto the canvas, I felt at home. The painter in me was touched. My first painting (it's a work in progress, the background needs to be completed) is almost done. To think it was a post in October of 2009 that I shared an old piece and I mentioned I wanted to start painting again.

Feels good to be back. 2011 you are just full of surprises.


11 comments:

  1. Great way to spend the snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Keep it up. And keep showing us more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! It is an unconventional medium with how you executed it, but it is gorgeous. Welcome back to play time. I hope to see more of your painting in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is beautiful! I love the color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so beautiful. You are so talented - I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO great! Good for you! Looks like your new year is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and inspiring...wishing you a very happy and creative 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Maybe if you commit to a weekly feature you'll paint more often...or if you're like me, it would feel like work and you'd eventually drop it... Either way - I'd love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is amazing! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!