Monday, February 7, 2011

Quick and Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (Sprinkles Recipe) with VIDEO

This post was inspired by a conversation on Twitter. I was a bit annoyed that someone who is well known for their baking blog wrote recipes calling for canned frosting. Now, what you use in your own home is your choice, but someone making a living calling themselves a "food blogger" using canned frosting is a FAIL in my book.

Once you make buttercream at home, there's really no reason to ever buy canned. I could make a 1,001 comparisons, but really homemade is the way to go. There is no chemical aftertaste, it spreads like butter, it has real ingredients, and it tastes divine. If you really need a shortcut, used boxed cake mix instead. Homemade frosting takes about 5 minutes. You don't need fancy ingredients either, this recipe uses 5 ingredients.

Lucky for me Santa put a Sprinkles dark chocolate cupcake mix (from Williams and Sonoma) in my stocking. This is the third mix I've tried and they are worth the money, warning they are pricey. With the mix comes a recipe for frosting that you have to make on your own, the recipe is listed below. If you are looking for a different chocolate buttercream recipe, my typical go to is the one on the side of the can of Hershey's baker's chocolate.

Sprinkles Chocolate Buttercream Recipe:

1 1/2 sticks (170g) unsalted butter, firm but not cold
pinch of salt
2 1/2 cups (250g) confectioners' sugar, sifted
1/4 tsp vanilla
3 oz (85g) bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with flat beater, beat the butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until smooth and creamy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the chocolate and beat on medium speed until incorporated, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down sides. Do not over mix or it will incorporate too much air.

*Add milk 1 tsp at a time if frosting does not have a spreadable consistency (I did not need this step).

Frosts 12 cupcakes, enjoy!



Related Sprinkles posts, my cupcake indulgences!

8 comments:

  1. YUM! I think there is something wrong with my mixer...it's way noisier than yours is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to try this and that is HUGE in my world because I never cook/bake/make anything. YUMMY. I love the new look, the worn, planks are perfect for you (in my mind).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, frosting is super easy to make. I think more bloggers will be inspired by your video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish. Will it be stiff enough to pipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...Maybe I'll make this and just eat it straight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my recipe and am so glad you posted this!! Making the icing right now, not the best time to realize you don't have the recipe anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering if in fact anyone tried to use this in piping and decorating cakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! I absolutely think you could put this in a pastry bag for piping. If the texture seems a bit too thick, simply thin it lightly with milk.

      Delete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!