Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I Thought I'd Never... Ski?!?


Thank you to P&G’s Have You Tried This Yet? program and Kroger for sponsoring my writing about trying new things and breaking out of my everyday routine. Click here to find great savings on high-performing P&G products at a Kroger store near you. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.


I'm not quite sure where to start with my story. First, let me begin with my husband makes a living in the ski industry, he's passionate about skiing and snowboarding and has been hitting the slopes since he was a young boy. He travels the world to find the best snow and resorts under the sun. One would naturally assume that being his wife and living in Colorado, where the skiing is world renown right in our backyard, that I am a skier as well.

Well, I'm not. 

In my twenties I tried snowboarding a couple times a season, but honestly it was so much work to feel successful or let's just admit it, even comfortable that I always felt defeated. Before we had the girls, I'd send J on his way for the day trip up to the mountains and find ways to keep myself busy. I never really gave much thought of us not spending the day recreating together, I mean we don't have to like all the same things. After we had the girls and now they are skiing, I feel the divide. We could be recreating as a family, traveling up to the ski resort for the day or weekend, but "mom" doesn't ski. So instead we tag team, J takes one of the girls and I stay home with the other. Being apart is not a great way to spend much coveted weekend time together when J is actually in town.

Then recently I was offered the opportunity to take ski lessons. Me, ski lessons? At thirty-something? Oh did the flood of thoughts and scenarios race through my mind. Ultimately, I decided to accept the opportunity realizing that I had nothing to lose. I could try and not like it or maybe I would surprise myself.

That's exactly what happened, surprise! I had a fabulous and very patient ski instructor. I took group lessons with just a few other adults that were on skis for the very first time. We started out slow and practiced a lot on the bunny hill. I mean there is something cute about the bunny hill, compared to double black diamonds, isn't there? I proved to be slow and steady on the hill. Most of all, I laughed a lot. I would even go as far to say that I enjoyed myself. There's something very empowering about challenging your MIND and BODY to try something new, especially when my mind is easily convinced to back out of new and potentially fear inducing scenarios.

The best part of the day for me, my 4 year old took her very first ski lesson as well. We will always have that story to tell others. Funny enough, my 7 year old was riding the chair lift up the mountain when she looked down and caught a glimpse of me. I could hear her yell and excitedly wave, "Hey that's my mom!" I know my girls will always remember that weekend, which makes me swell with pride. Honestly, I never really thought I'd be a skier, but there's hope for me yet. I imagine I'm going to be ripping it up on the hill in my forties.


Here's a photo of me, taken by my husband. He was proud of me, too. 
------------

3 comments:

  1. that's great, I think you will love it too..-our family ski trips over the years are some of my happiest memories, little hats bobbing over hills as they zipped down ahead of me..and the peacefulness at the top of the mountain and taking a quiet run alone is amazing as well. even sandwiches in a back pack at the lodge tasted great after skiing all morning..fun all around..happy trails! (love your jacket)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I find interesting is that you LOOK like a skiier to me. I never in a million years would have thought that you didn't actually ski.

    Well done. I'm very proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! It's always great to challenge the brain and body with something new. It keeps us young. I had my first ski lesson this past January too. It was A LOT harder than I thought it was going to be, and boy was I beat afterwards! Both E's loved having mom take lessons with them. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!