Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Nightly Ritual, Cherishing The Little Things

After the girls are asleep, I typically like to decompress and zone out for a couple of hours before turning in for the night. Of course that means uninterrupted web surfing or watching a movie (from a service I will cancel at month's end, boo!). I have a ritual that I do every night before going to bed, it makes my day, every single day. As I gently walk down the hall on our creaky hardwood floors I make a stop in each of my girl's bedrooms to kiss them good night while there are sleeping. Of course I also adjust their blankets, turn down a fan, or pick up their lovies from the floor while I'm in there.

There's just something about those quiet moments, when they are asleep and beautifully lit by just a soft glow of the night light, that makes my heart swell.

I just can't help myself from taking a long luxurious moment to gaze over my girls. There doesn't seem to be a more perfect way to adore the little things that get lost in the action of daily life. My youngest is filling her twin bed so much more than she used to, her legs just go on and on. I can almost guarantee she'll be sprawled out diagonally with her doll in a mirror image of her. The last couple of weeks, I've just been amazed by how grown up she's become. The time passes so quickly.

Then I gently make my way into Sj's bedroom. Every night she sleeps clenching her favorite kitty cat (a gift from daddy before she turned one), most typically kitty's head is found resting in the crook of her neck. Kitty is starting to show her age, there's a hole in her tail and her stripes are faded, the white yarn has yellowed. I cherish seeing my very independent girl embrace the comfort of her favorite hand knit kitty cat. Sometimes if Sj's head is turned just the right way and her hair if off of her face, I have flash backs of my newborn baby girl. It amazes me how some moments are never taken away and always come rushing back from memory. I fight my mind from looking ahead, seeing how mature she is and wondering what my beautiful young girl will become...

I love my nightly ritual full of adoring moments, cherishing the little things.



  1. I love this ritual! It's the perfect way to end a day.

  2. That is such a sweet ritual.

  3. That is so precious. I love how you enjoy your girls at the present moment. It goes by SO FAST!

  4. We definitely need to cherish those moments. And I need to be reminded sometimes.

    p.s. I read in your about me that you have 3 older brothers and are the only one that moved away. Me too! Kinda funny, huh? :)


I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!