Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Tuesday Tips: Seven Indoor Plants Which Eliminate Indoor Air Pollutants

Did you know the average American spends 90% of their time indoors and that indoor air quality is the 4th greatest contributor to a person's health? While I would love to have my windows open year round, I just don't live in a climate which makes that possible. There are many houseplants which have been proven to remove pollutants such as VOC's or Volatile Organic Compounds from the air.

I love house plants, I once went through a phase where I bought a plant every time I went to the hardware store. Once we moved into our house, I had the pictures hung on the walls, the curtains up, but something was missing. I had yet to buy houseplants. I only have plants from the list below because I love that they not only add softness to my house, but they work very hard to help keep our indoor air quality healthier! It truly motivates me to keep my plants healthy, knowing they are helping me keep the air in my home cleaner.

Here's a list of 7 plants with photos and which pollutants they remove:

Ferns 
Eliminate: VOC's such as Toluene (release in printing inks), Xylene.  

Golden Pothos 
Eliminates: Carbon Monoxide and Formaldehyde.  

 Peace Lily 
Eliminates: Acetone, Ammonia, Benzene, Ethyl Acetate, Formaldehyde, Methyl Alcohol, Tricholoroethylene, Xylene. 

Anthurium
 Eliminates: Ammonia, Formaldehyde, Toluene, Xylene. 

Dieffenbachia 
Eliminates formaldehyde, such as from new carpet.

 Dracaena 
Eliminates Formaldehyde, Toluene, Xylene. 

Song of India 
Eliminates Formaldehyde, Toluene, Xylene. 



When you are houseplant shopping, keep an eye out for this logo, which was created to help you identify plants that help clean the air.

For more information as well as other plants to bring into your home that improve the air quality, visit:

Costa Farms O2 For You, Clean Air Plant Guide





------
I'd like to thank Costa Farms for providing me with new houseplants for my home. This post was an idea I've had in my queue for months, not something Costa Farms requested. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have plants in my house. My darn cats eat them!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the gesture to stop and take a moment to comment. Thank you!